Sunday, July 16, 2023

Grub Crawl - West Colonial (50): Meet Fresh, Friendship BBQ and Paul's Unique Gourmet (Closed) *UK Travel Notes

I tried these spots last night. They are on West Colonial. The first two are in "Chinatown" on either side of the Enron (I know that is incorrect but close) Market. The last is closer to I-4. John Young intersection?

Meet Fresh - I think they opened just a few months (or weeks ago). They said they are a world wide chain. I believe it was Taiwanese sweet items. I had the almond pudding with sweet beans for $3.50. Or something like that. There were too many new things to absorb. Add in a single terminal that would not display prices until check out and I was awash selecting anything. They also did "soups", bowls, waffles, mochi, drinks. Many things. The non-"snacks" were near $9 to $10. My dish was like a coconut custard with sweet red beans around it. Ok for water and tofu. The place is hospital white. Lots of open space. MODERN. If it is a choice between this and boba places, I choose this.

Friendship BBQ - They opened very recently. I think they have some prior association with the post-apocalyptic wokeland of New York. I don't think their target market is the West. The sign (and clientele) is mostly in Chinese. Tiny English lettering. I almost couldn't find it. It is mostly a skewer place. And their presentation was a bit gross. The waitresses just carried them from the kitchen to a table like they were a bouquet of flowers. Add in a waste trolley hanging out in plain site and it all started working against the modern interior design. Is this mod-cuisine or a street market stall? I settled on the lamb and potato burrito for $12. Firstly because most of the menu was mostly skewered meat and secondly because they said they had already raised the price (by 25%) on the menu on the fired rice with lamb and thirdly because it sounded weird and fourthly because I didn't feel like eating in before I began a road trip. It was just skewered lamb (2) in a naan like fried bread. Didn't taste any potato. Just wilted lettuce and tomato. It was ok. I had to cook the meat a bit more in the micro. Cumin flavor. Some spice paste. The menu has crazy things like: cow aorta, lamb kidney, bullfrog, chicken heart, bone marrow, quail, skeleton, lamb spine, and abalone. The place looked cool. Modern. Three columns of seats. Around six rows. A bar (with no stools) in back. Alley like lay out. About 1/5th full. Good, young, cute service. It just needs to clean up its act.

Paul's Unique Gourmet - I had them on the list and then I went by months ago and the place looked closed. I guess it was a break. They opened in October. Haitian. They seem to be big in Miami. Let's not get into that. I already had dinner, so, I ordered their cheapest thing (tenders were not available). 6 wings for $10. They turned out to be ok. Plump. Three of each type. I had to cook these a little bit too. Jerk flavor. I added no flavor because they seemed not to be dips. Maybe I was wrong on that. Most meals were around $20. Goat, pork, seafood, ribs, chicken. Around eight sides. Fried and grilled. No one was there. Still looked half done. The half done part was modern and clean. An upgrade over the place they replaced. This place may have potential.

Travel Notes (continued) - England: I left you while I was on a National Express bus to Bristol. It doesn't appear that they factored in Friday traffic when they planned the route (nor explained all the stops or e-cig breaks). However, we were so late getting through Manchester that there was no traffic to Birmingham and I make it in time for the transfer. And guess what? It's canceled. The only one. They promise cabs. That they will pay for. It takes an hour, but, they actually come through. The driver was probably drunk and there were eight to a cab, but, they get us there. At 11pm. Started at 11am. I stay at the Holiday Inn near the bus station for $107. See nothing of Bristol. Wake up early and thankfully check the bus web site and run to the station and claim a 10L fare to Taunton at the station. So much more money later on. Arrive in Taunton (in North Somerset) and stumble upon the other bus area that has the bus I want. I just jump on it. A 2L fare (each way) to Minehead. Pretty drive. I like it and decide I will book a room there the next night. So, I just go back to Taunton after a brief investigation. FYI- Minehead seemed as close to Exmoor National Park as I could get without a car. I was wrong. You can get another bus at the same price along the coast westward. I did that the next day. Back to Taunton. Cute town. I stayed at the Royal Ashton for $74. Near the station. Walked the town. Saw cricket stadium and Minster. Bought a train ticket for the next day. Back to Minehead. The other bus (Exmoor Coaster) to Porlock and Lynmouth. It goes on to some cute towns (ie Ilfracombe) on the Bristol Channel. I will do this (but from Barnstaple) next year. This is really hidden gem of an area. Also Lorna Doone country. That's a book (and a character). In Minehead I stayed at the Duke of Wellington for 72L ($91). Most things closed earlier than I expected (Sunday). Back to Taunton in the morning. A 32L train to Salisbury. I think they lied about the anytime fare being the same as a directly timed one. Machines seemed to be rigged to get you to buy those too. FYI - those 2L buses ran all the way to Glastonbury or Wells. I would have done that if they ran on Sundays. I figured out a different route. In Salisbury, I stayed at the Kings Head Inn for 89L ($113). Saw the Cathedral (Magna Carta) and Church of St Thomas Becket. Cute town too. It was rainy. Ate a chicken and leek pasty at Reeve the Baker (and bought a baguette). Had a Saveloy Sausage at Stoby's. Bought a timed train ticket to Bath for 10L. They were starting to strike that week. In Bath, I found the bus station (down the block on the left) and the bus to Wells was there. So, I hopped on. Also 2L. Endless trip. More stops than a school bus. 17 miles took almost 2 hours. It was raining hard. so, I just took a few quick pics of the Cathedral and the Bishop's Palace. Missed the Rector's Close. Cute town. Back to Bath. Bought a timed ticket to Manchester (through Bristol) for $44L. Most were near 100L. Still raining. Stayed at Z Hotels for $105L. I have been there before, so, I just watched tv and kept my things dry. Walked the town a bit in the morning. Train to Manchester. Stayed at the noisy Easy Hotel (near train station) for two nights at $84 per. The next day I bought a 5L unlimited bus pass and took one to Manchester United's stadium at Old Trafford and back (Picadilly Garden) and one to Manchester City's Etihad stadium and back. Ate chicken in black pepper sauce and some nigiri at Sushi Mami. Bought 7L train ticket to airport the next day. Flight back was ok. Had to circle for an hour before landing. Saw Avatar and full season of White Lotus (Sicily). Breezed through customs. 

Things I ate in England: Blacksticks Blue (ok), Abergavenny Goat's Cheese (ok), Aldi duck liver and orange pate (horrible), Moroccan hummus, Scottish seeded oak crackers, white crusty bloomer. Some other sights 

I saw: Inverary Castle, Eilean Donan Castle, Dunster Castle, Thurso Castle, Bristol Suspension Bridge, Isle of Hoy, Old Man of Hoy, Isle of Lismore, Duart Castle, Aston Villa Stadium. The UK was already jammed packed. All the Euros and even some Chinese and Japanese. Tons of Yanks. I was mostly on the west side (and north). More south coast next year. Air fares seem to drop in August. Maybe that will change if the demand stays high? Still love my Gogglebox, QI and Top Gear repeats after a busy day. Plus some Rick Stein. He was in Mexico this year. Their knowledge of Mexican culture is so comically behind the times. BTW - my page views are exploding. Any idea why? You idiots seem to like the travel stuff more than the Orlando stuff.

No comments: