Monday, February 16, 2009

Cafe 118 Degrees, Winter Park - Closed

I had lunch number 2 at this raw food movement restaurant on Saturday. I had the beet ravioli for $14 with a Beet Carrot Orange Juice for $5. The "ravioli" was pureed cashews (fake ricotta) seathed in a "fruit roll up" skin of beet. It came in a pear sauce. It was very inventive and slightly tasty. The juice was a little beety for me and these blended juices never age well (they must be consumed immediately - ie 5 minutes). It didn't go well with the ravioli. I think you need a sharp soda or mineral water to counter the veggies and nuts. The place was very clean and modern. It's very white with high cielings. The whole front is glass (a shame it's hidden on a side street with no view). They have pretentious "for sale" art on the walls. Is anyone else sick of multi-revenue streams? I want to feel like I'm eating a meal not attending a multi-level marketing promotion. The service (2) was adequate for the traffic (12 or 40 possible). I was surprised at the contrast in clientele. Although, I have the feeling that most of the men were dragged in their by their hippy, carbon toe print, secretively dieting, vegan, or earth mother table mate. All in all it's more of a novelty than a great restaurant. However, I suggest everyone try this type of cuisine at least once. It's something different. If nothing else you can appreciate the resourcefulness it takes to work with a limited palette. They seem to put alot of care into their meals.

No comments: