Friday, October 19, 2018

Kai, Winter Park

I had dinner at this Asian Street Fare restaurant on Wednesday. I had LeGit Wontons for $7 and Legendary Garlic Noodles with Shrimp for $10. The wontons were boiled or poorly steamed. Sticky/tacky skin.  5 pieces. A pork and shrimp mix that you would think I would know by now basically means pork. They were served in a lemongrass and sweet fish sauce. They were ok. They have a spicy version at the same price. The noodles are an ode to some "famous" ones in San Francisco. The chef said Crustacean. I think they do a dungeness crab one. I'm not sure if that is what they use here. They are what they purport to be - garlic noodles. There is so much garlic in there that I reserved a third for the next night and added another bowl of pasta and I still have some garlic left over. And I overdosed on the intake at both seatings. I'm sure that is how it is meant to be and it didn't effect me in a bad way, but, it just seemed so decadent. The garlic is sweet. It is garlic and oil. The shrimp were ok. Probably frozen. Small to medium size. Around seven. Their crab version costs $15. The menu is small. An egg roll, soup, wings, fries, tacos and a curry dish. Four more options at lunch. This is the fourth time I've been to this spot (a strip mall near Howell Branch Rd). The kitchen is against one wall. They repainted in gray and black. Some wood elements. It seats about twenty. You order at a counter. It's casual. I liked the ethos. I'll probably go back. I like the variety. It's like a food truck. Kai means chicken in Thai if you were wondering. I think they opened this summer. Closed on Monday.

No comments: