Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Anejo Cocina and Chick'n Cone (Closed) *SC Travel Notes

I tried these places on Memorial Day at lunch. The first replaced Dexter's at the 17-92 and Lee Rd intersection. The second is in that strip mall on Lee Rd. I forget what things have been in that corner slot in the past.

Anejo Cocina - They said they have another in Oviedo. It looks alright. Murals. Blue on white tiles. Patio. Bar. Similar set up as always. I didn't really want to eat here, so, I just ordered chicken fajitas. They were ok. $14. Tortillas (3) were raw. Salsa and pico had no heat or flavor. Came on a super hot plate that turned the tasteless bean puree into paste. Rice and guac were ok. Service was ok. Big menu. They try and add to the usual suspects. Prices were a bit high. Exactly what I expected. The new "higher end" attempt at Mexican cuisine. Nothing special. Open for a couple of months.

Chick'n Cone - This place is a joke. They basically take chicken fingers and serve them three ways. The gimmick is the waffle come. They chop them up for this. Then they put them on a bun for a sandwich. And then sell them whole. Each way is too expensive. And say, worse than Zaxby's or PDQ or Huey whatever's.  I tried the least expensive. The sandwich for $8. Two pathetic fingers. Small. Rubbery pickles. Bun was ok. It is a chain. 30 outlets. 4 in Florida. Open for a month. Also sell mac and ff. You have to get out and walk in. That should eliminate most of you.

*Travel Notes - South Carolina: The trip started here because of a car accident or something that caused me to get off 95 at the first chance (only took an hour to get to it from the last). Slept in Mount Pleasant (this is outside Charleston) at a bad Sleep Inn for $123. Prices were high all over. Slept the next night at a terrible La Quinta at Ashley Point for $147. Ate ok shrimp and grits in West Ashley at Triangle Char and Bar. Ate lunch 1 the next day at Home Team BBQ. Good pulled pork taco and brisket taco. Ate lunch 2 at Lewis Barbecue (down the block). He taught or learned from Aaron Franklin of Austin. showed. I had an El Sancho Loco sandwich of pulled pork and brisket and hot guts sausage. Good. This is in an area under 26 and on the east side of town. A hip, new area they called downtown. I also went (while up there) to Edmund Oast's and Revelry Brewing. The first had a restaurant/market near Home Team. They said try the brewery a few blocks up and over. It was in a warehouse district with new shops. Good beer. Revelry too. It was near the bbq places. Don't know where or how I learned of all these places. I'll bet their Yelp ratings are good.  I also visited the American College of Building Arts while there. It was on a show (Samantha Brown). I also found a nice pier and park under the bridge in Mount Pleasant near the hotel. Excuse the run ons. I've been reading Gertrude Stein. I also tracked down the Old City Jail and Circular Congregational Church in Charleston (south). On the same show. I saw the River Dogs play the Green Hornets (Tampa Bay Rays A ball) at Riley Stadium. $20 for second row right behind home plate. $5 for parking across the street. I also saw in the market - apple fritter iced donut cookies. On the way home I stayed at an ok Motel 6 in Walterboro for $62. On the way up their were big delays south at the border between SC and NC. They were also slowing things down going both ways in Wilson NC. Slowed me down in Emporia VA too. and of course the daily crash near DC. That is one reason I took the path home that I did. some of these delays were for tree cutting. They closed a whole lane (of 2) to give them unneeded safety. A-holes!

No comments: