Monday, May 27, 2024

Donating Your Vehicle Tutorial

I decided on WUCF after looking into some of the other charities that market themselves to the general public. Many had issues. The first step was clicking on their donations link off their homepage. Then you fill out a form with info like vin number and condition. Immediately after they called me to verify this info and arrange a pick up date. A truck came on that day and hauled it away. I had to fill in some of the information on the title and give that to the driver. They gave me a donation receipt. I took some video and pics (title too) just in case.

I will consul that I believe they aren't doing this in compliance with the law. They (the auction house which sells the vehicle and sends the proceeds to the charity) ask you not to fill in mileage or make them the transferee. I believe they would have to pay for a new title that way. I called the charity, auction house and DMV for guidance. I received little and contradictory guidance. Some charity sites online were equally unclear. UCF had no instruction page for this. I emailed two of their departments. They couldn't answer the query.  I wrote up the mileage but played their game on the transfer line. I do believe that I had legal liability between the time it went on the truck and the sale.

I canceled the insurance and returned my plates to the DMV and waited for confirmation of the sale which was supposed to take place a week later. One never came. I had to email them. They said it could take 4 to 6 weeks. I received an email about a week later with the sale price and some tax advice.

No comments: