Friday, December 13, 2013

Grub Crawl - Clermont : Robata, Crooked Spoon, Uncle Kenny's BBQ, Akina and Lakeridge Winery

I ate at these restaurants in Clermont on my way to New Orleans last week. They are all near or around 50 and the 27 interchange. None is really a destination spot, but, maybe a combo like I did or as part of an outing to the area.

Robata - A aging hibachi/sushi restaurant in a strip mall on Oakley Seaver Dr. Although at least some of the staff seemed Japanese, the place had the run down, satorially challenged feel of a Chinese restaurant. I ate small because I was eating often. I had the Maki Roll Lunch Special for $8. The tuna (really ahi tuna) was ok. The yellowtail had no flavor. The rice was gummy and dry (an accomplishment). The rolls were cigar sized. The place has six, arced booths and tables that seat around twenty more on the sushi side. The other half of the space has the hibachi tables. I didn't really take notice of how many they seat. Not worth ferreting out.

The Crooked Spoon - The pumpkin turned stage coach or food truck turned restaurant was a little less ambitious than I expected, but, I found a good meal at an acceptable price - $18. I had a quail stuffed with (oh my God I'm going to forget because it had so much stuff in it) black rice, sun dried tomatos and chorizo on a parsnip puree. It had a gastrique of figs and something else and a compote of I forget. In any event, the bird was cooked well. The puree was nice and the stuffing was not wet or dry and had nice flavor. I didn't love the gastrique or the compote. Just unnecessary. I know chefs are bullied/brain washed into developing layers upon layers of flavors, but, sometimes just pick a trio and let them shine. It's easier to conduct a band than an orchestra. This one felt as if a few instruments were out of time. I didn't need the sweet elements. The place (an old Friendly's) has a nice gastro-pub veneer. They recessed the low ceilings in places and added alot of Pottery Barn-ish iron fixtures. It must seat 100+. They have a bar area and a patio. Nowhere feels crowded. The menu's appetizers were more interesting than the entrees. They haven't abandoned the gourmet burger or hot dog nonsense yet and bacon is still chic here. The staff was great. It is very polished. They even have a multitude of flatscreen TV's showing sports. It's right at the intersection of 27 and Citrus Tower Blvd. Look for the giant Citrus Tower ($6 to enter the tower if you were interested). I could be pressured into advising you to find this one.

Uncle Kenny's BBQ - This place is in the Citrus Tower parking lot. It was on 50 in Winter Garden when I first tried it. They gave me a rib to try. I was ok. It had oregano in the rub. The brisket sandwich I had for $7 was flavorless and tough. Not sure how they are winning awards. The place is narrow and seats around thirty.

Akina - A sushi restaurant. I had two pieces of conch nigiri for $2.60 each and two pieces of salmon for $2.70 each. The conch was crunchy but not sweet. The salmon was bland. The rice had too much sake (sweet) in it and was overcooked and not properly washed (starchy). The pieces were big and the wasabi was fresh. A much newer and cleaner spot than Robata. The vibe and look here is more modern. They had cooked meats and noodle dishes. The menu is small, so I hope they have it down backwards and forwards. Not really a destination spot. A little south of 50 on 27. A strip mall after a big expanse of abandoned land.

Lakeridge Winery - A nice, free tour with a huge, free sampling at the end. The wine is iffy, but, it is interesting to see all the ways the try and adulterate the wine. It's a little north of town on 27.

No comments: