Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pub Crawl - Downtown: Magnolia, Church Street Tavern and Kasa (Closed)

I went to these places last night before and after the bowl game

5-5:30pm: Magnolia - The place was until recently called On The Rocks. It's one block towards the lake from Orange Ave on Magnolia Ave. I'm not sure if it has the same owners, but, the receipt still had that bar's name on it. It was empty because it was so early. It seems to be one of this new trend of themeless bars. They just played early 90's trip hop and was devoid of hipster beers or glitzy faux-Miami chic. They said it draws well. A young crowd.

5:30-6pm: Church Street Tavern - It's another new "regular" bar. Supposedly it has a "Pittsburgh" theme if you need to assign one. I saw no visible evidence. It was packed with Louisville fans watching the basketball game. They serve food. It's next to Hamburger Mary's in the old Dessert Lady spot (another one of the suckers our politicians conned into opening in an area that must be the only one to see a Five Guys fail). I don't think they changed a thing.

9:30pm: Kasa - I had a crudo (raw) plate of salmon. My friend had a cheese plate. They were ok. My crudo was just a bland cut of salmon with no oil or citrus bath (just some flavored sea salts). It was basically like 6 pieces of sashimi. Nice presentation. It cost $8. My friend's cheese plate was supposed to be manchego, aged parmesan and something else. He got a "brie-like" cheese, aged gouda and goat's milk. He said they were good. They came with sliced baguette toastees, almonds and some kind of sweet shmear. Not sure what it cost. The place is the old Urban Flats on Church and Orange. It looks great. They have ice cube like, raised and bottom illuminated sinks in the bathroom. The inside is mostly Ikea chic. It was fairly full of what passes for the glitterati of Orlando's young society. It emptied early (after din-din). The service was polished and attentive. It's run by the people who own Bento. If I didn't think tapas was a greater rip off than sushi then I would love the place. However, I'm still more conditioned to pay out the ying yang for Japanese elegance than Spanish rusticity. However, I see their need to diversify. The menu is way smaller than Ceviche and probably a little more fusion.

No comments: