Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Grub/Pub Crawl - I Drive: Ramos Trattoria, Naru Sushi (Closed) and Ice Bar Orlando (Closed)

I went to these spots on I Drive on Saturday night. The first is off Kirkman in that strip mall that houses Boi. The next is at the edge of the development around the Ferris wheel. The last is a little farther down the street.

Ramos Trattoria - I've rued the day I had to revisit this spot. It was most recently Big Italy. It was bought by the Boi people and they opened your basic Italian restaurant there. They did next to nothing to the place. And it's disordered/messy. After viewing the banal menu and seeing the dearth of customers (zero tables when I entered and two when I left), I decided to just get a pizza to go. Believe me, if I didn't have a stick up my ass about giving everyone a fair chance to impress me, I would have just walked out and told you not tto bother. The cheapest pizzas started at $12. And this gets you a Frisbee sized pie. I'm so glad I cut my losses. The pizza was ok. I'll stipulate to that. Thick though. It came with sausage that I was burping up the next morning. There is little Brazilian influence on the menu. Maybe that's a plus from what I've seen them do to Italian recipes. I think the one thing was the pot luck pizza they call a Portuguese. It has crap like corn on it. Totally gross. It was almost $20 for the small. The pastas and few meat items are "greatest hits". They all were near $20. This place is overpriced, underwhelming and probably not long for this world. It (like alot of places down here now) exists to pray on Brazilian families. Who have to be the most frivolous spenders on the planet. You are not that stupid or irresponsible, so, avoid this place. What is worst is that they are only open for dinner. There is no way to challenge my sentiments without costing you your date night. I think they have been there for a year.

Naru Sushi - This place just opened up around a month ago. It was my plan b going in. Another one to just get off my list. It turned out be other other side of the karmic coin. I had some really good salmon sashimi and good tuna sashimi for $7 a pop. 5 huge slices carved correctly. I also had some salmon, octopus and tuna sushi (two pieces for $3.95 and $3.50 respectively). They were equally good. The first round's rice was worse than the second so, I'm not sure which you will get. Service was good. The place looks new. The liquor selection was good. The menu is a little limited in the fish department and it is peculiar. I say peculiar in that (for example) they have some selections that are named by state (ie Oregon) that have zero correlation to the name. It's not like the fish come from there or anything. They also have alot of hot Japanese items. The place is divided into three rooms. There is a sushi bar room, a main room and a bar. I sat at the bar. The main room was full of Brazilian families. Man they drag those urchins out at all hours. The other room is oddly/sparsely tabled, so, it seemed emptier. No one at the sushi bar. This place is also run by Brazilians. The menu evinces almost no reflection of that. As long as they will keep buying quality fish and serving in these quantities, then I can give it the thumbs up. They also have outdoor seating.

Ice Bar - I finally checked out this bar with an ice bar within. It costs $16 to get into the inner sanctum. It's fine. I've been in others in Sweden and Finland. They bring in blocks of ice and make a fort. You know the drill. Drinks were not included. They ran around $6. They are served in an ice glass that you can smash. They provide a parka or a fur coat (extra $). The main club is your usual lounge type club. It's modern. There was some crowd there. Maxim density was not reached. It's a goof. A cheap thrill. Young crowd.

No comments: