Sunday, June 23, 2024

Grub Crawl - East Colonial and UCF Area: Blue Amphora, Kyuramen and Pho So 1

I tried these spots on Thursday at lunch. The first is a block or so south of 50 on the left on Goldenrod. The next two are in a strip mall off University where there is a World of Beer.

Blue Amphora - Started as a Turkish baklava maker. Now (a year) has a few sandwiches, etc. I had the Turkish sausage (I forget the name) with mozzarella panini for $6 and a four piece, mixed (walnuts and pistachios) baklava for $5+. They didn't give me a receipt. The sandwich was fine. Not a ton of sausage. They hand sliced it. Some kind of non-white bread. It could have been pressed a little longer. The sausage was spicy. Probably beef. A bit mushy. I couldn't really discern between the nuts. I "Cookie Monstered" them in the car without water they were so good. Moist. The sugar/honey water wasn't too sweet. Flaky. They sell some savory pastries as well. Breakfast. Some drinks. It's small. Maybe four tables. Pleasant owners. If you like baklava, you should seek it out. They are doing construction on that part of Goldenrod. It makes the place harder to find.

Kyuramen - I am shocked that it appealed to me as much as it did. It's a chain. From NY, I believe. And it is ramen based. However, they also have some fun items like: bao, takoyaki, fried oysters, calamari, chasu, salt and pepper corn, potato shrimp, etc. And they screw around with the ramen. Quite a few regional varieties. I tried a two ramen combo plus called Yin Yang. One side (they have a bowl with a divider in it) was chicken broth (I think) and the other was a spicy pork broth (I think). Both had a ton of good noodles. The chicken side had two tempura shrimp and some round slices of fish cake, marinated bamboo shoots and an egg. The other side had a boiled oyster and chashu pork. The tempura was a little wet inside. The oyster was a little tough. Otherwise, everything was good. Very tender pork. It cost $20. Most ramen was around $16. Apps were $8 to $10. They also had yakitori skewers and one with a few skewers sticking out of a bowl of rice called something with a k. They also have desserts and drinks. Tbaar had a spot up front. The place looks good. A rectangular look. Kitchen on the left. White curtained booths on the right. A splendid looking two level honeycomb seating design in the rear. The colors were black, gray and some kind of blue gray. Youthful interior design. Pale wood. Wishing tree. Sake barrels. Seats about sixty. They may have had a patio. Not too full around 2pm. Three servers. They had some buttons you could press to summon them. I think it may deserve your attention. Kyu means 9. The nine styles of ramen they offer. I am reminded that I saw a type of ramen restaurant (region) on NHK where they serve you AYCE mini (one bite) bowls. I believe it is called Wanko soba from Iwate Prefecture. That looked fun. I haven't seen it in the States yet. A lady hovers over you and replaces the bowls until you cry uncle. Somehow the record was 200 something bowls. I think I could do thirty. Someone get Man versus Food on this.

Pho So 1 - The usual Viet stuff at the same price points. I grabbed an avocado summer roll for $6. I'm not sure if I have been here previously. I know I did all the spots in this strip mall at one point. The roll was good. Came with a sort of peanut dressing. The real revelation from this place is about the summer roll itself. I think this was my first with avocado. That works. But, I think we need to revolutionize the summer roll. Many vegetables should be incorporated. Radish. Beets. Sweet Potato. Etc. The meat or seafood they usually use is tasteless and usually of a bad quality anyway. This solves both of those problems. I expect summer roll themed restaurants to be the next trend. You are welcome. This place is bland. Shower curtains hide boxes in the front corner. Six tables. No customers. Two person crew. Open for four years.

*Next door was a place called Build A Burger.


No comments: