Thursday, October 10, 2024

Grub Crawl - East Colonial (50): Andina and Fable Craft Coffee

I tried these spots on Tuesday at lunch. The first I saw a few months back when I went to Blue Amphora on Goldenrod (south of 50). Shoud have knocked it out then. The second was suppossed to be some new one in Waterford Lakes by Timber Creek HS called Yumfiity. I couldn't find it. Internet searches come back inconclusive as to if it is open. The last is in back towards Alafaya Trail in the strip mall that has Academy Sports. I went there a few months back for some new Chinese place. I also went to the new So Dough in a strip mall near the stadium and Alafaya Trail. I'm not including it because I reviewed the original. The quality here was worse. I also drove past Yao's near Red Bug Lake. It wasn't open. I knew it wouldn't be. Just wanted to seal it in my brain. I should have headed back towards I-4 from the first place to begin with and hit places there.

Andina Delicatessen - Opened two and a half years ago. It reads Venezuelan and Guatamalan on the window. They dropped the Guat because of lack of interest. I took two items to go because the pricing was higher than I anticipated. A $6.39 Domino Empanada and a $4.64 Andino Pastelito. Both were good. And big. The empanada was double the size or more. Fried. Thin shell. Stuffed with black beans and a white string cheese (they list mozz, yellow and Venezuelea on then menu). The two items separated into opposite corners. I wish they stayed (or ever were) mixed. The pastelito seemed baked. About half the size as the empanada. Thicker coating. Stuffed with a chopped or ground beef and maybe rice (?). Tasty. They added a thin garlic mayo dip. The menu has three signature soups (beef rib, hen and mondongo - tripe) at $17. Breakfast has another soup (Anedean) and three dishes with eggs starting at $13. There are two arepas at $13. Sandwiches (4) start at $11 to $18. Six lunches ($13 to $17). A grill at $46. 4 meats (liver, steak, pork chops) from $13 to $17. Fruit drinks ($6+). Sides. Coffee. Drinks. If I could dial it back (just saw that page of the menu), I might have tried the liver. For a new dish. It's a small space. Eight tables? Empty. Fresh of the boat (or across the border) staff. Cute. Feminine looking. Nice. I'm not sure that a delicatessen is an appropriate description. More of a sit down. Better and different than I expected. The other things on the menu better be damn good at these prices. Let me know.

Fable Craft Coffee and Pastries - Open for two months. I grabbed a Chai Latte for $5 because it was the cheapest thing and I needed something to wash down the handhelds from Andina. It was fine. They sell a limited selection of drinks like that. And only a few pastries. I almost tried a rolled cake that they said is Brazilian. The place looks like a lounge. Light gray feel. Bookish. Ok crowd. That's about it. 

No comments: