Saturday, October 5, 2024

Tawa, Dr Phillips Area *VA/NC/SC/GA/FL Travel Notes

I didn't try this Modern Indo-Pak spot at the Dr Phillips Marketplace today at lunch because they didn't deserve the consideration. This is the second time I've hauled my ass down to this traffic choked cess pool and they didn't seem to be open. Were not the first time. I had to knock. Empty. They said they open at 12pm. It was 12:30pm. The door had to be opened with a pen. There seemed to be only be the owner on call. She was more concerned with her daughters (eating Chick Fila) than taking orders. I finally just got fed up when they brought over a bottle of (not free) water when I asked for that. I could see where this was going. The only thing worse than a pity fuck, is one in which the fuckee is not only not fuckable, but, not grateful. The owner said she took over (no changes to the drab space) a year ago. It replaced a Middle Eastern place (that I believe I reviewed) two years before that. The menu seemed like Northern Indian cuisine with less flavor. Not a huge menu. Maybe three dishes that weren't Indian staples. The dish I was going to order didn't come with a side. I don't think anything does. Everything over $18. I will add that the day began with another fail. At Sand Lake and John Young, another pity fuck (Nando's) was out of business. I believe Google has them listed as in business. Avoid them. I will tell you of plan c in the next post. Soon.

*Travel Notes - Virginia/North Carolina/South Carolina/Georgia/Florida: Let's call this the Hurricane Helene trip. I rented a car from Hertz for $244 for the week. I drove the first day to Roanoke Rapids NC and stayed at the Red Roof Inn for $80 (rack rate). 

I took the route to Hatteras (158) to 17N. At Chesapeake it become a toll, so, I went east a few miles on 465? (last exit before toll) to 464N and followed the signs to Norfolk. The signs said that was also a toll. But, I think it is just if you use the tunnel. I drove around downtown (Scope arena, restaurants, museums, Tides minor league ballpark) Norfolk and found the road to Ghent. In that district, I ate a great fried grouper sandwich and ff at The Green Onion. I went to this area based an article I read years ago. I followed the signs a few miles north to Old Dominion University. From there, I went right down 38th Street until I hit Granby and took that north until I hit Ocean View Ave in Ocean View. I stayed at the BW Holiday Sands (Expedia 7.8) for $129. Most places downtown charged for parking and were more expensive. I think it was a good call. It was on the beach. I swam in the Chesapeake Bay (a first), took a walk and drank some vino at sunset on the beach. I had a beer flight at Bold Mariner Brewing Company down the street and some brisket and pulled pork at Bar-q (inside the brewery). I had wanted seafood, but, there weren't alot of options around the hotel. 

The next day I took 64 north through Hampton and Newport News and Richmond to Charlottesville VA. I stayed at the Sleep Inn on 5th St (Expedia 8.0) for $101. South on 20. I had a good chicken salad with chips and a glass of Viognier at Eastwood Farm and Winery. I drove farther south to Michael Shaps Winery and had a great mixed flight there. He makes wine for alot of other places. Has a place in Burgundy. Some of the flight was from there. I couldn't find the other wineries I hadn't been to south of there (or the ones on the way back near Trump's) and some roads were already washed out, so, I went back to 64 and a bit west to 29. I had a glass of Royal Pippin at Albemarle Cider Works. Another winery near there wasn't open. Pippin Hill Farm Vineyards were a bit too precious by half (they wanted you to sit at a table and be served) to put up with. Great looking place though. I drove back towards 64 and tried a Petite Cider at Potter's Craft Cider. I grabbed a tuna poke and spam musubi from Mochiko Hawaiin BBQ across the street from the hotel. I wanted to stay an extra day, but, prices almost doubled. Good thing. The next morning a neighbor sent me a pic of half a tree laying on my roof. I had already booked two more hotel stays (the jinx) and it didn't seem to have broken through, so, I kept the party going. 

I drove 64 back to 95. I was going to stop at some of the wineries on the way, but, the signs said each was eight or miles from the exit. After driving through some crazy rain (I swear it was a tornado) and making much better time than I expected, I decided to finally quench my curiosity at Smithfield NC and see the Ava Gardner Museum. It was closed. You could see through the window though. Go past the first big intersection. I think they charged $14. I ate a bad turkey club and worse ff at The Diner across the street. I drove on to Fayetteville NC. I stayed at the grubby Days Inn (a laughable Expedia 8.2) Exit 49 for $89. I went into downtown (cute) and most everything was closed for the hurricane. Saw an US Army Airborne and Special Operations Museum, Segra Stadium (Single A), etc. Watched The Penguin. Colin Farrell is amazing. 

The next day, I drove 95 to 278 to Hilton Head SC. I discovered that 278 is far shorter than 278 Business. I bought a bottle of wine at Roller's Wine and Spirits. Cheaper than the supermarkets. I tried to eat a chicken sandwich at Reilly's Irish Pub. But, it was so tiny (McDonald's would be embarrassed) that I just got up and left. I wonder if it is still there? I did have a great Willie's Cluckin' Good Chicken Sandwich (4x the size) with ff at Sea Grass Grille on 278 Business. I checked into my hotel (had to fight about a room being ready at 3pm) at Spark by Hilton (Expedia 7.8) slightly off the Coligny Beach for $114 and $10 to park in an unpaved lot. I had stayed there recently. It was a BW then. The name change tricked me. I swam a bit and then dressed and went to try $1 oysters at Brother Schucker's next to Reilly's. Don't do that! They sucked. Must have been opened ahead of time. Some were paste. I reluctantly tried four and sent the rest back. Plus they were Virginia oysters. Plus they didn't charge half off (as listed) for the beer. I drove back to the hotel to try this new brewery and food hall that I passed on the way to BS. Side Hustle Brewery and The Bank. They were doing an Octoberfest. The prices were ridiculous and I saw my team was losing on tv, so, I left. Plus I planned to see the sunset and it was getting late. I pulled into the Coligny Plaza and passed a hot sauce place (Hot Daddy's). I have been watching Hot One's and wanted to see if they had Da Bomb. They had a sample bottle. Said I could try it for free. They also sold beer, so, having seen what it does to people I thought I might need a chaser. It wasn't that bad. I then grabbed a good cb and tots at Skillet's Cafe & Grill. It was the cheapest place in the Plaza and looks much nicer inside than out. Good value. I went back to the hotel. Ate dinner and started on the wine and watched my team come back against those pesky Badgers. Saw the sunset. Stayed past dark. Little light pollution. Watched people with flashlights looking for crabs. Came back and passed out. 

The next day (after being awakened by non-beat offable, non-mattress squeaking, oral sex noises from the adjacent room) I packed up and drove to Exit 102 in Savannah GA. Home of the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force. Also closed. But, another stupid sign on 95 for something I've always said I'd stop and see did its job. I drove to Fernandina Beach FL and had a sample at First Love Brewing and a bad Florentine Benedict with potato cubes at The Patio. Took the back way out to 295. Got home and went to work on the tree.

Gas cost the same in VA. Cheaper in between. They are "closing" 95 at 7pm through alot of NC. The best fast food deal was a $6 Arby's two-fer. And BK's 8 Nuggets for $2.69. I had mostly sunny weather. Would you believe that my best memory will be finally trying Da Bomb?! I saw that the hottest sauce (Apollo) they make costs $30. Didn't try that. Not sad that I got home a day early. This was suppossed to be a trip to Boston or NYC anyway.

No comments: