Sunday, March 4, 2018

Garp & Fuss, Winter Park - Closed

I tried this new American place for dinner on Friday. It is in that arcade near the Tiffany glass museum. I believe it was Park Bistro before this. They opened (late) in January and I remember thinking that I'd hate the place. First we have the name. I hate all "&" places. Next, the menu sounded pub grubby. Lastly, it meant that I had to snake my way through those Winter Park streets and find parking just to confirm my suspicions. I was mostly right. All three worries were right, Since the first and last are beyond their control (kinda), I will concentrate on the menu. It's just derivative and juvenile. Half of it is sandwiches and flat breads. Then they knock you out with a salad section. Followed by finger foods. Oh boy! Sandwiches for dinner! The only part of the menu that requires big boy pants is the "Fork & Knife" section. Another &! It is 6 deep. I had the "Schnitz" for $18. Fried chicken cutlet, arugula salad, mustard and a unwelcome fried egg. Side bar - I love eggs, but, I still don't get why they are being put on everything nowadays. Is it to be an ice cream topping next? Needless to say, it didn't do anything complimentary to the dish. The chicken was ok. It can always be moister and thinner. They panko'd it. It came out pretty fast to be cooked to order. Plus it was very un-oily. Usually a good thing, but, here a sign that it was in a warming station. Salad was fresh enough. Plating was ok. What wasn't ok was the service. I was left out in the cold for much of the meal. I had to ask for the check and no refills on a $3 soda in 3/4 of a glass of ice. The dopey owners were glad handing customers. They also ignored me. The hostess was the only competent one. Back to the menu. The other slightly interesting dishes are a Kung Pao Salmon and Clams & Bacon. Another &! The other entrees are ribs. How can they do that well? Two pastas. And A hanger steak. With fried egg of course. They didn't do alot that I could see with the interior. Maybe new tables. Makes you wonder what took so long. Maybe the kitchen was a mess? It seats 40 in the front room. The same in the back. Ten or more at the bar. It was a third full.  I think they do lunch now. I tried this place three times before this night. One time they missed the published launch date. One time Google said they were open and they weren't. Another time they said they were doing lunch and they weren't. That didn't help the review. But, not by alot. I thought the menu was too unambitious and that hasn't changed. I thought that the execution would be sloppy from people who could only imagine such a menu. It was. I thought the service would be unprofessional by the way they missed their deadline to open. It was. It's probably run by a bunch of first time business owners. It comes off that way. I've seen this story too many times in WP. This is an area with alot of competition (talented). I've seen better products surrender to the pressure. I expect that I will have to experience another re-imagining in this spot before too long. And do I have to say it - "I don't see what all the FUSS is about".

No comments: