Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Modena Pizzeria, Altamonte Springs

I grabbed some food to go at this new (January) pizzeria around ten days ago. It replaces another Italian place called Proccolinas or Broccolinas. It is on South Westmonte Dr. That is the first right after you turn off 436 to the south onto the road that is parallel to I-4. I was expecting more of a new age style pizza place. This is old school. The owner/cook is a Latino from the Bronx. His menu reflects that. You can expect pizzas with nick names and pies made with heavy cheese and thick crusts. I ordered a pie because they don't do slices at night. A 14" cost $12. It was ok. A little thicker than it should be and salty. The sauce was a marinara with garlic flavor. The dough wasn't pounded out, so, air bubbles. The crust/dough did have a nice chew. They offer alot of toppings. They even sell a mammoth 32" one. Fortunately, I was more in the mood for chicken parm and I ordered a 6" sub. It was better. $5.50. Nice bread. Toasted long enough in the oven. Lots of cheese. Crisp, thin fried chicken. Not too saucy. I also think it was more than 6". They serve the usual - garlic bread, calamari, salads, soups, calzones, stromboli, pasta, subs and American items like chicken fingers, burgers and wings. It won't win any awards, but, it will make most people happy. There was no one there when I stopped by. The inside is short on seats and many had junk on them. They have a patio deck. I do have to mention that two baby roaches were squirming by the counter. Not a great way to make an impression. I guess I should be glad that they spray. The place is named after the region that the owner relates to the most. Not enough here for me to go back.

No comments: