Sunday, March 4, 2018

Taco Rio, Orlando

I grabbed some lunch to go at this Mexican joint on 436 in between 408 and Curry Ford on Friday. I had the lunch special for $5 and a carnitas taco for $2. Both were ok. The pork was a little sweet. Not very crispy. They did double wrap it though. I had it Mexican style. The special was a chicken thigh, rice and refried beans. I was worried when I saw that they yanked a pre-cooked thigh from a prep area and threw it on the grill. I didn't get sick, so, I guess it wasn't too old. The meat was acceptable. As were the sides. They threw in two taquitos because the guy said that was the special and that is why I ordered it. He said four taquitos special. In any event, they were ok. Same worry as the chicken. Grabbed from the prep area and heated in the grill (not in a fryer). There were also some shredded lettuce and cukes and cheese added to the haul. No guac or sour cream or salsa. Needless to say, I didn't love seeing the reheating portion of the prep. Therefore, I can't recommend. Plus the strip mall and general area the operate in isn't the safest. They did seem to have a few people waiting for them to open (11 am). Maybe just because they live close by? The owners (a couple) were nice. The place has a sit down area. The menu is Mexico city style. It is pretty basic. The most annoying Mexican hip hop was blaring from the tv. They have been open for nine months.

No comments: