Saturday, March 18, 2023

Grub Crawl - Casselberry and Longwood: Never Pho Get and Siam O-Cha

I tried these spots on Tuesday night at dinner. The first is in the old Pho Guys spot on 436 between 17-92 and Red Bug Lake Rd. The second is near Lyman HS and Hourglass Brewery on Ronald Reagan Blvd. In an old Chinese take out location.

Never Pho Get - Just love the word play with this word. Open for four months. Inside looks the same. Maybe some new posters. Not sure if I tried Pho Guys or just updated the title to say that the Vietnamese place that was there before switched to them. That's the reason for the uncertainty. Typical menu. The only real difference is mini phos. And I love this concept. $6 cup and half-ish containers of the big bowls. I often don't want that much or pho as the only thing. Now I can have a pho app and something else. I decree that every other Vietnamese shall forthwith adapt their menu to this new reality. I loved the idea so much that I ordered a chicken AND a beef one. Kind of contravening my previous declaration that I didn't only want soup for a meal. However, this was to go and I knew it would be eaten on two separate occasions and I wanted to report back on at least two items for you. The broth was ok. They swear the make their own. The same broth in both. No jalapenos or bean sprouts. A decent amount of meat. A perfect portion. As I said, the rest of the menu and pricing is in line with every other similar type place. Dark interior. A dozen or so tables. On table eating and two to go customers at 8pm. They main draw is the mini bowl concept.

Siam O-Cha - O-Cha means delicious. They were once a food truck. Open for six months. Typical Thai menu with the associated Chinese offerings. The most interesting dishes were an omelet and the larb. Maybe the wings. $10-$18 dishes. I tried the yellow curried chicken with rice for $14. I found the curry a little thinner than I would prefer. Almost a soup. Alot of thin, white meat chicken. It could have been cut up into more manageable pieces. Yam. Potato. Onion. Not spicy. Rice was a little dry. 4 tables. More of a take out place. I believe the wife may be the Thai connection.  They add a credit card surcharge. They do delivery and catering. Closed on Sunday. 11am - 9:30pm.

No comments: