Thursday, March 30, 2023

Grub Crawl - Longwood: Maya Rosa, Simon Parrilla, Historic Bar Room and Fueled Up

I tried the first spot last Tuesday at lunch. It is on Ronald Reagan (all these are) in a strip mall that looks deserted. Near the 7-11. I tried the second and third this Tuesday night at dinner. The first is near 434. A place called Oasis Cuban was there for years. The next is near the light rail station. The last is also near the light rail station. I went there yesterday at lunch.

Maya Rosa Latin BBQ - This is a prep area for a catering company. The food is to go only. They also have a food truck and pop up pizza business. Messy. No decor. Realtor lock on the door. Door always closed. Makes it look abandoned. I tried a "Taco Tuesday" of pulled pork for $2 (usually $4) and brisket for $3.50 (usually $4 or $5). I also tried the pulled chicken empanadas. 3 for $8. I liked those the best. The chicken was a bit mushy. Not oily. Crisp shell. Small. Not much flavor. The brisket was by far the worst. They said they smoke it for 15 hours. I doubt it. Or they don't do it low and slow or it was old. It was half fat. The meat was tough as leather. No flavor. No "smoke" flavor. They cut it into cubes and reheated it in oil in a frying pan. The pork had good flavor. Seemed fresh. Both tacos came with a nice, home made tortilla with a pickled slaw and sauce. A large amount of meat and slaw. They also sell items like: bbq boxes, combos, sandwiches (ie fried chicken), sides, ribs, chicken quarters and desserts. They seemed to have raised prices since the last printing of flyers and menus. For instance the brisket sandwich is now $12 versus $10. The food is Cuban style. I think they are open from 11am. To 5pm? I think open a little longer on Tuesday. Check for what days they close. I believe they opened two years ago.

Simon Parrilla - Open for two years according to waitress. Menu says 2013. I forget what country's cuisine. I've avoided it because I went when it was Oasis. Plus it never seemed to have that much business (cars in the lot). It was ok. I tried the pechuga epanada (breaded chicken breast) for $15. It was three, palm sixed, pounded pieces of breast. Tough. I chewed some pieces over twenty times and it still was fiberous/whole. Probably fired and frozen and nuked or fried and refried. In addition, it came out too quickly as well to be fresh. They added two sauces. A garlic one and a spicy one. Fries. Not the ones I like. The reconstituted, dry mashed up potato (or something else), brown, greasy ones. These were at least (sort of) fried long enough. Salad. Mostly iceberg and onions. Some dry tomato. Russian dressing. Rice. White. The best part. Too flufffed up. They also sell things like: fried mojarra (snapper), mofongos, skirt steak, pork chops, chuleta valluna (pork loin), sausage, soups, empanadas, sirloin, etc. Up to low twenties for most things. $10 lunch special. $13 on WEs. High ceilings. Not crowded. Booths at left wall. Bar on right. Some tables in between. TVs with baseball on. Wood feel. 

Historic Bar Room - Was O'Shaughnessey's (sp?). Open for two years. I think it had more furniture before. Not much now. 

Fueled Up - Re-opened for two months. Was a "healthy food" cafe. Now they sell that ready made to go and added bowls/burritos of five choices of meats for $10. Mexican style, I believe. I tried the barbacoa with rice and black beans bowl. They said that would be bigger than the burrito. Huge portion. I can't really isolate the components since they are mixed together. The beef seemed good. Not a ton of flavor. Not tough though. Rice seemed properly made. Small grain. I wonder what type? Beans are beans. Also topped with lettuce and tomato and cheese and sour cream. Maybe it could use hot sauce? No seats. No decor. I believe the old owner sold out to the old cook. I was all set for it to be just over priced microwave dinners. And healthy ones at that. I'm happy that they branched out. Not open for dinner. I believe closed on Sn and Mn.

No comments: