Thursday, March 16, 2023

Grub Crawl - Stoneybrook Area and Oviedo: Banana Leaf and Martin's

I tried these spots at lunch on Tuesday. The first is a self-described "only Sri Lankan restaurant in the State of Florida". It is on South Alafaya Trail in a strip mall near the Stoneybrook entrance. The decor isn't great, but, the food was. Novel too. The second is on 419 passed the road that connects with 434 and passed where Mitchell Hammock Rd meets with 419. About a mile further on. On the right.

Banana Leaf - I had Pol Roti with chicken for what was supposed to be $17.99 (I just noticed that the bill says $18.71). The roti is a plate sized flatbread made with coconut. Two in the serving. The chicken was white meat in pieces in a neutral red broth. They also added a cup of daal and sauteed onions. I could have packed up the second roti to go. I was full after one portion. But, I plowed through. So, you can either make two meals out of a trip here or roll home. They serve meats like: rabbit, chicken, goat, lamb, beef, mutton, cuttlefish, shrimp, fish and pork. And vegetarian items. $16-$24. I missed the fish menu. I may have tried fish mud curry or sprats had I known. They sell: curried dishes, other roti, dishes with rice, desserts, etc. "Deviled" dishes mean "fried". The desserts looked good. Things like chocolate biscuit pudding and flan looking things. A buffet on weekends. The owner moved here from LA (San Fernando Valley) recently. 6 to 8 tables. Only three others here at lunch. Indian music on tvs. Seems like only two people on the job. Open for six months. Already reviewed by Weekly and Sentinel. I believe favorably. A definite must see. If only for the novelty. 

Martin's Coffee & Ice Cream - More than the above. Some food too. I just had a scoop of banana pudding ice cream. Really good. It's one of those places that is "concerned" with their practices. Home made ice cream. It was on that Edible list. Funky flavors. A small footprint. One server. I guess the namesake is a Mr Martin. Open for two years. 


*There will be two more post in the next week. The last will have Mexico Travel Notes.

No comments: