Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Grub Crawl - Audubon Park and Mills: Coro and DBA

I tried this spot in the strip mall across from the East End Market (I think it is the old Bordeaux, Bikes, etc location) and this lounge aside The Strand on Mills (near 50) yesterday at dinner. They are both closed on Monday. Both open at 5pm. I'd find both.

Coro - Open for two months. They said they are after a New-Scan vibe with a concentration on Copenhagen. They are all American. From Luma, Luke's, et al. It is a quasi-tapas menu. More substantial. I had a "raw" and a "warm". $22 aged beef with kohlrabi on rice that turned out be a "poke bowl" of steak tartare. It was excellent. One of the tastiest and amusing dishes I've had in a while. The bottom was a layer of mayonaise. Then some egg (I forget how that was treated). Then short grain sushi grade rice (properly executed). It glistened. Then the soft mix of high quality beef and diced kohlrabi. Topped with some sprigs and leaves that they said were arugula. They gave you four squares of nori to fashion your own vehicles with. I did dolmades, sushi hand rolls, musubis and a few arugula wraps. Fun. There was enough in the bowl left over for a traditional fork to mouth experience. The second course (eggplant agnolotti) wasn't as big of a hit. Five ravioli sized agnolotti filled with blandish eggplant and covered with a blandish tomato sauce. At least compared to pickled, thinly sliced shell of green tomatoes and one other vegetable (I think). They also tossed in some kind crisp in between. And some overpowered, grated, softish parmigiano reggiano cheese in the sauce. The pickled elements gave it a Southern feel that I guess could pass for New Scan (pickling). I appreciate the attempt. It just didn't land for me. It cost $20. They also started and ended with amuse bouches. A tender and delicious hunk of avocado topped with some thinly sliced something or other and a chocolate meringue "drop" topped with something or other. They menu is split into three sections (raw, warm and sweet). About eight in the first two groups and half that in the last. They say they change it up. In the raw I remember: $20 Florida fish (red snapper) that they said was like a tiradito, $11 beets with marigold and horseradish, some noodle dish, etc. The warm had $14 potato naan, $30 coulotte (that's beef Brazilian style) with sweet potato, $24 lobster toast and a few other items. The sweets had peach with caramelized yogurt, koji rice that I suspect is a pudding, something listed as coffee, potato, vanilla as examples. They also had alcohol. I forgot to peruse that menu closely. I think it had wine, sake and beer. $110 pre-fixe. Service was good. Engaged. There were only two of them. Semi-dressed up. They said the chefs (seemed like four) deliver the dishes themselves. It was empty except for one other table, so, my dishes were delivered by the "hosts". The layout is open. Two spaces with a knocked out middle wall. From the entrance, the open kitchen is in the right rear. Most of the right side doesn't have seating. Around three tables at the left rear and some in front and against the wall. Maybe twenty in all. White on white. Pale wood. Scandanavian-ish. A window in the front. I didn't have a reservation. Dressed like a bum. They didn't give me the gas face. seemed happy to have me. One other couple came in as I was leaving. I came at 5pm. Parking was no problem. I liked it alot. They push you for multiple plates, but, two were enough. I've seen more outlandish pricing for way less panache/conscientiousness. I feel it was a very fair exchange. It will be atop my Favorite List for sure. They add a 20% service charge to the bill. If I have any of these particular particulars in error, I am just reporting what I was told and what I can remember. I had been traveling all day.

DBA - I'm leaving out the periods. It looks plush. Opened this summer. Sit down bar and a few low level tables in an L. I didn't order anything. I had enough drinkies this weekend and needed to get home. Prices seemed ok. $10+. They also had around ten bites that ranged from a $6.50 pretzel to $19 pasta nero. Parking is an issue. Three spots on Mills. I may go back sometime if it isn't too much of an ordeal. It was nicer than I expected.

No comments: