Saturday, August 3, 2024

Grub Crawl - SoDo and Downtown: Da Da, Kolombia Cafe, Sugar Divas and I Love Orlando Cafe *MO/IL Travel Notes

I tried these spots on Friday at lunch. The first is off Michigan on South Orange. The next two are across the street at the condo complex with a Target. The last is on E Washington across from the band shell at Lake Eola.

Da Da Indian Cuisine - They replaced a Korean place and I think a Thai place before that. Open for two months. Parking in the back. I had the Methi Malai Chicken for $16 (to go). It was very good. I had it hot. I believe the base was crushed cashew nuts with fenugreek. Creamy. They said it was a Northern dish. Lots of hunks of mostly white meat chicken. The basmati was fine. Large portion. Could feed two. They were serving an AYCE buffet that looked good. Around $12 I think. I bypassed it to expand my Indian dish knowledge. Typical menu and prices. The place has ten booths of six. They kept the Korean tables with the hot plates on top. It's all black. Looks clean and new. Two waiters. A bit busy. Added a credit card fee.

Kolombia Cafe - They were closed for a while. Some kind of partnership disagreement. I just tried a chicken empanada for $4.50 (to go) because the menu was just sandwiches, vegan and a bit pricy ($15+). The dough of the empanada was a bit under cooked. I believe because they were trying to not have me wait. At least they fry them up fresh. Stuffed with undry white meat. Carrot pieces. Bell pepper flavor. They have breakfast options too. Even beer and drinks (ie cold press, tea). Arepas. Croissants. One side had a steel backsplash. The other was tile. A flower board. Seats about twenty with tables and counters. Colombian with a touch of Argentina they say. A bit busy. Re-opened for a few weeks.

Sugar Divas Cakery - I grabbed a brownie for $4. It was small. Good. Rich. They also sell tiny cupcakes. And cakes. All white and spotless. Looks modern. Open for ten years.

I Love Orlando Cafe - Open for a month. Was a bar. Now food. New owners. I had a Chicken Caesar Salad for $13 (to go). Fine. Lots of fresh white white chicken cubes. Ok dressing. Shaved Parm. Croutons. The menu is all over the place. Latin+. Some breakfast. They had one waitress. I saw an order kiosk machine later on. Small. Seats about twenty. Nice view of lake. Outside only. Full. Food came out quick. Charged a credit card fee.

*Travel Notes - Missouri and Illinois: I flew Frontier (7AM/7PM) to St Louis for $124. No issue going there. Two hour delay because of broken AC back. I rented a car for a week with Hertz that would have cost $527 but I used points. The dicks only had SUVs (in the Presidential section!). Other levels were worse. I did this (Route 66) after watching Samantha Brown and Darley Newman's episodes. 

I drove up 170E to 270E to 157N because I wasn't sure where to pick up Route 66 and avoid traffic (there was none) and I knew I was coming back if I messed up. I stopped where I saw Route 66 "statues" because I deleted (by mistake) that southern portion map fumbling with my phone just before 157. Edwardsville, Hamel Benld and Gillespie. Then near Staunton, you had to choose to follow 55N or 4N (the old route). I chose the old one. I drove through Carlinville, Girard, Thayer and Auburn. In Chatham, I tried to have lunch at the Sangamo Brewing Co. I left when they told me they have others brew their beer. I tried a 4oz Hazy IPA brewed by Springfield Beer Co. It was average. I continued on to Springfield. I went to the Lincoln House NHS. Where he lived as an adult. I had been there before, but, I didn't walk around for some reason that I forget. It was free. FYI - I had done all the other touristy things there before. On to Lincoln. World's largest stagecoach. I stayed at the Hampton Inn for $127 (rack rate). They matched Comfort Inn or it would have been more. Should have gone into dt. Too tired from 3:30M wake up call. Too eager to move on in the morning.

The next day I drove to Atlanta. Paul Bunyan Giant Statue. They also had a museum/vc (I picked up a booklet with info and maps here) for these statues. They were used by Texaco and muffler shops. I went through McLean and the Dixie Truck Stop. Lost the route, so, I just popped onto 55N and took it through Bloomington. I should say at this point that lots of the "new" route is right beside 55. 66 is also called 55 Business for large stretches. Onto Pontiac. Route 66 Hall of Fame and Museum. Bob Waldmire road yacht. Free. Found the route here. Onto Standard Oil Station in Odell. Ambler's Texaco Gas Station and Frank Lloyd Wright's First Nations Bank in Dwight. Lost the route here. Drove through Gardner. Finally found food (bad cb) at Polk-A-Dot Drive In in Braidwood. Onto Wilmington (53N). Gemini Giant was being repaired and Launching Pad Drive In closed two years ago. Saw the Mar Theater and Sinclair dinosaur. Past (and in) Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie. Past Chicagoland Motor Speedway. Into Joliet. They said the first DQ opened here (no longer exists). Saw the baseball stadium. Slept west of dt at a bad Super 8 (Expedia 8.0) for $114. 

The next day I had donuts and a cinnamon stick at Milano Bakery (Darley). I drove past Rialto Square Theater and onto Joliet Prison (Blues Brothers). Back across the I&M canal bridge to Dick's Towing and Rich & Creamy (it was too early so I left). Through dt to 70E to 57N to 94E (all seemed toll free) to 111th St to Pullman NHS. Free. They made train cars here. I had read that it was in a sketchy part of town. No issues. Back the same way to Joliet to 53S. I stopped at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery this time. I should say that I am mad at myself that I didn't go farther north. At least to Cicero. I didn't want to deal with Chicago traffic. I am glad that I didn't do Pullman the day before (late Friday afternoon). I had no traffic on Saturday. Back through to Gardner. Met the Mayor. Stopped at Two Cell Jail, Street Car Diner (thought it still served) and Coca Cola House. I saw them the day before. Stopped in Dwight and had an ok egg breakfast for lunch at the Old Route 66 Family Restaurant. Through most of the same towns as the day before. Found the route this way. Old Log Cabin (food) in Pontiac was closed. Couldn't find Auto Museum. Again! Chenoa, Lexington and Towanda. Dead Man's Curve in Towanda. Through Normal and Sprague's Super Service Station to Bloomington. Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan. Stayed at noisy (other rooms) Chateau Hotel (Expedia 8.2) for $97. FYI - the Original Steak N' Shake opened here (no longer there). I drove through dt. 

Back onto 55S Business the next day. Found the route. Past Funks Grove Maple Syrup Farm, McLean, Atlanta, Lincoln, Elkhart, etc. Through Springfield. Stopped at State Fair Grounds and Shea's Station. Cozy Dog Drive In (first hd on a stick) was closed on Sunday, so, I continued on a mile or so to Motorhead's Bar and Grill on 55 at Toronto. Had a horseshoe with fried chicken (fries, melted cheese on a piece of bread). An Illinois specialty I had never heard of. Usually with a burger. They had a sign that said Route 66 a few exits south. It didn't link up. At least going south. Back on 55. I exited for Auburn to see this red brick stretch that I missed going up. There and back to 55. Got off in Livingston (I think) to try and find "new" 66. Just got back to "old" 66. Took it back a bit further than Edwardsville. Was going to try at find this Old Chain of Rocks Bridge. It didn't appear soon enough, so, back on 270W right before river. I did see that Luna Cafe though. I had to get back onto 270W because I was taking it to 367S to 70W to Jennings Station Rd to C&K Barbeque. I saw this on a PBS show where they went around to specialties all over the country. Had the pig ear sandwich. It was gross. Boiled. Rubber. Scary area. Onto 270W and over the river/bridge to St Charles. Stayed at the Best Western (Expedia 7.8). 

70W to Kansas City the next day. 200 miles. Stayed at the La Quinta Beacon Hill (Expedia 8.6) for $222 for two nights. Went to Joe's Kansas City Bar B Que. Had dry, thin cut brisket and average pulled pork sandwich ($11). Disappointing. Better Triple Threat (pulled pork, sausage, pork belly and slaw) sandwich ($18) at Q39 BBQ on 39th. Drove around a bit. 

The next day I had great pork ribs (thick) and tender burnt ends ($24) with crisp ff at Fiorella Jack Stack Barbecue. I did Plaza location (near a creek) because they charge for parking at Union Station. Then north a bit to Char Bar Westport. I had thin, dry pork ribs, ok pulled pork and ok sausage ($30) plus liquidy ps and cs that was supposed to be broccoli bacon slaw. I found all these spots on Trip Advisor, Kansas City Magazine and some other website that came up when I searched for best bbq. All were top ten. Stacks was #2-5. Q39 was #1. On TA. I also found Slap's, Chef J, Shawnee Bates and Scott's. They were closed or farther away. Most of these were south of dt. I also drove around dt and saw the things to see again. It was 95, so, I didn't roam too much. Watched Olympics and House of Dragons.

Back to St Louis. I ate a St Paul (fried egg foo yong) sandwich at Kim Van on Gravois/30 (south of Busch Stadium). It was also on that old PBS special. Back to airport. 

Gas in Illinois (especially north) was near $4.50! As low as $3.13 near KC. Weather for the first half was cool. Hot after. No rain. No traffic jams or accidents. It was a fun trip. Nostalgia. I didn't see all the things in the booklet. Almost drove the route through Missouri because I was so far ahead of schedule. But, I'm fairly certain I have done most of it on other visits. Wanted to try some more KC bbq (had done AB's, Gates, LC's). It was underwhelming on the whole.

No comments: