Saturday, August 17, 2024

Patisserie Bon Beurre, Casselberry *SC/GA Travel Notes

I tried this bakery on Saturday in the morning. They used to only be open on the third Saturday of every month. I tried and failed a few times when the opened (a year or more ago). I read that they would now be open every Saturday (9am-1pm). They told me that they plan to be open during the week soon. They are in an industrial park on Live Oak Blvd. Look for the street off 17-92 where there is a Chinese buffet. Near 436. I had a cruffin and an almond croissant. Both cost $3.50. The cruffin was dark with open circles filled with cream. The dough was a bit tough. Old? The croissant was very big with tons of almond paste (?). Weighty with paste. The pastry part was light. Slivers of almonds. Powdered sugar. They coated it with some syrup that coagulated on the outside and bottom. They also do cookies, danish, kronuts (small), bread, bread pudding, something called a beuure bombe, etc. New ownership. Not a chain. Give it a go.

*Travel Notes - South Carolina and Georgia: I hadn't done Charleston yet this year and flights and hotels and rental car prices are inflated by all you folks traveling this time of year. I drove my own car this time. I'm sick of dealing with the rental car companies. My initial schedule had been thrown off course by Hurricane Debby. I chose to sleep in Brunswick because I didn't want to pay Saturday night rates in a nicer area and I needed somewhere about half way to Charleston. I was going to pop into St Simons Island, but, it was too hot and the Olympic Basketball Gold Medal game was on. I ate a hockey puck CB with a terrible strawberry milkshake at the horrendous Hwy 55. I slept at the grubby Comfort Suites (Expedia 7.6) at the third Brunswick exit north for $86. 

The next day I drove to Charleston (no traffic) and made it in time to eat at The Marina Variety Store Restaurant. They close at 2pm. I had a nice special of grilled wahoo covered with a cucumber and tomato salad. Potato salad and tots too. They validate. I should tell you that most of the spots I ate at were from this show How She Rolls (the little biscuit lady Callie) or a Travel & Leisure article.  The Marina was from HSR. I stayed two nights across the bridge from here at the ok Holiday Inn (Expedia 8.0) for $208. It looks like a tower. Free parking. I drove through downtown a bit. I had dinner at a French place (HSR) on Broad called Gaulart & Maliclet Cafe. I had a poor Bouillabaisse (2 shrimp, 2 scallops and flounder) that came with a cheap glass of rose and a soup (I chose peach and cream). They also seemed to over charge me. I can't confirm because they wouldn't give out a written receipt. They may have just added on some extra fees. South Carolina seems addicted to them. I parked in alot right near there for the first time. No issues. Watched the sunset from the hotel room with a bottle of vino. 

The next day I had lunch one at Amen Street on East Bay (TL and Andrew Zimmern). I had excellent oysters and a fried shrimp platter with creamed corn and hush puppies. I could have chosen any combo of oysters they offered for my half dozen. I tried three I hadn't. The waiter even gave me some new oyster knowledge. I then went to Oyster House (TL) on Market between Meeting and East Bay. I had an ok fried flounder sandwich with crisp french fries to go. I ate it driving to Folly Beach. I drove down as far as you can on the second to last road (left turn) too the Lighthouse Inlet. You see a lighthouse from there. I parked there for free. I also swam, etc. I drove back to the hotel and stopped for some ok Mexican (Wet Chicken Burrito) at Santi's on 17 in West Ashley. I saw it driving in. I wanted Mexican and didn't want to deal with downtown Charleston. Another sunset with vino. 

The next day I drove over the Ravenal Bridge to Mt Pleasant. Took Coleman Blvd (703) across the river to The Post House (HSR) on Pitt St. I had a very good tempura fried wahoo sandwich with french fries. I grabbed some Superman Ice Cream (made locally by Holy Cow) at Pitt St Pharmacy (HSR). They filmed scenes from The Notebook there. This area was cute. I went back over the river to a place I saw on the way in (Vicious Biscuits). I saw them in Boone NC and their prices were ridiculous, so, I think I left. Here the prices were reasonable (ie $3 biscuit), so, I tried a Hen Solo (chicken) for $7 and it was good. The biscuit was glossy and heavy. Not like an usual biscuit. I liked it better this way. I got back on Coleman and took it north to 517 to 17. The map said it was Coleman all the way. I'm not sure if I missed a turn and didn't go back and solve the riddle. I drove to Myrtle Beach. I stayed near some entertainment area called Broadway or something (aquarium, etc) at a La Quinta Inn (Expedia 8.0)  for $120. It was near the Pelicans Ballpark. That is why I was there. To see a baseball game. It cost $21 for home plate. Parking was free. I ate there. Single A of the Cubs. 

The next day I tried to try some place at the beach called Moe Moon's (Food Paradise). It looked so AVG that I left. I think fish bowl drinks may be the draw. FYI they charge for parking all around that cheese ball area. Tackier than Daytona. I drove up 501N to Coastal Carolina University in Conway. I passed some golf courses. They play the Myrtle Beach Bowl up there. I ate ok beef taquitos and a chicken taco at Tu Taco across from the school. Back on 501N to 95. Google said this was the fastest route. I think they are wrong. The usual semi dickheads in the fast lane. Off at 17 before Savannah and through town on Oglethorpe to the Island Expressway to Tybee Island. I stayed at the average Atlantis Inn (Expedia 7.2) for $96 plus a $15 resort fee. Internet didn't work. It was all the way near the pier. I ate (and the reason I stayed here) at the Sundae Cafe (3D). I had mediocre hot honey jerk shrimp (shrimp quality issue) and excellent buttermilk biscuit bleu cheese bread pudding and twice baked skillet potatoes. Got some Georgia beers (available by single cans) at the well supplied Dizzy Dean's Liquor Store. Drank them as I walked the beach and pier at sunset. 

The next day I drove out through the Truman Expressway to 95. The poor suckers in the northbound side were in bumper to bumper all the way south to exit 82 (a Fed Ex depot now). Back home by noon. Fine eating adventure. A few more off the list. Prices were a bit lower and crowds a bit thinner because of the hurricane. Amen and Post House were the best meals.

No comments: