Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bistro 436, Casselberry - Closed

I had lunch at this spot in a strip mall on 436 and Howell Branch Lane on Tuesday. I had the entree portion of Chicken Parmigiana for $10. It was more than I expected (didn't expect much to be honest). The chicken portion was huge. It wasn't over fried or greasy. It came on a bed of ziti (choose your pasta). They weren't overcooked. Both were covered in a well crafted tomato sauce. The cheese they used was of a good quality. They sprinkled some parmesan on for good effect. It also came with three garlic knots. They were a little over baked, but, I'm quibbling. I was stuffed like a pig by the end. The place looks thoroughly underwhelming from the outside and only improves slightly upon entering. It's pretty bare inside and the furniture clashes with the paint. The paint (four different, unnatural pastel tones in four different areas) is a little funky for the demur wood furniture. But, you aren't coming here for the ambiance. You are coming here for the food and the value. Nothing is over $12 (and that is a seafood entree). Sodas were $1.50 (take that Big Italy). They had a beer special for the same. The menu has: wings, shrimp, salads, subs, wraps, burgers, quesadillas, gyros, strombolis, calzones, pasta, scampi, chicken dishes, desserts and pizza. I was told the place started out as more of a trattoria, but, evolved into a bistro (still think people are being too liberal with this designation) to attract more customers. You can figure out which items are new. The place is only a few months old so no one can say that management isn't responsive to market trends. I asked a few of the few diners that were there with me when I ate there if they liked their meals (sandwichs mostly) and they did. The waitress said the pizza is excellent too (and they do serve slices). Given the quality of the tomato sauce and cheese on my meal, I would believe the advice. This may not be a destination spot, but, it should be a go to location for anyone in the neighborhood. They have most everybody's favorites, the place is clean and the prices hit the sweet spot. The place seats about 90. There are nine booths and ten tables. One table seats eight and the rest are four seaters. The bar seats about eight. They have a TV aside it. There were four others there at lunch. The service (1) was great. I believe the management is really trying to win your loyalty (specials, menu rework, low prices, big portions). They do not seem to have lowered standards in the struggle to gain traction. I would warn the local populace not to forsake these dependable establishments. It's the last man standing (Mickey D's and Subway do not count) in your little strip mall. And if you don't watch out, you may lose them too. There are two condo communities across the street, so, there is a marketplace. I reluctantly came here after I saw it on my way to the airport (another party crasher to my list of wanna sees). I left glad that I turned at the right time and spotted it in its seclusion.

*Now a Diginos


No comments: