Saturday, March 30, 2013

Grub Crawl - Sanford: Tutto Bene (Closed) and China Star

I had lunch at these two restaurants near Seminole Community College (to be called state you need a star on the flag) on 17-92 (aside the Publix) on Wednesday. I was expecting little and received less. Stay away from both. I feel sorrow if those students depend on these two places for sustenance. Certainly, our 13th graders deserve better.

Tutto Bene - I had two slices for $4.50. They were doughy, thick and tough. The cheese was the worst sort of cheap, industrial, oil based Frankencheese. It was salty too. There was hardly any sauce underneath. The slice were big. The service was nice. The place is half takeout/pizza oven/storage area and half cheezy old Italian trattoria. The prices were typically higher than quality or ambiance justify.

China Star - Could have been the worst take out Chinese I've ever had and I've been given food poisoning. I had Chicken, Beef and Shrimp for $6.35. The shrimp (2) were mushy/ancient. The beef was grisly. The chicken was from parts of the chicken that shouldn't be seen. My best guess is that it was wing meat pounded flat. They say everything tastes like chicken so you never know. I'm crossing my fingers that the gross veins and tendons I hard to pick around denote it was a poultry product. The sauce was awful. It may have been the saltiest thing I've every had (or Monica Lewinsky ever swallowed). The meats had a decomposed character to them because of something that was sticking to them. It was almost like they took a deep fried version and then wok fried them so the coating became soft. It came with wilted broccoli that couldn't be eaten because of the nausea induced by the meats and the saturation of the florets in that salty sludge. The fried rice was grey. I can't go on and you shouldn't either. You're some kind of sicko if you've read this far. A real degenerate if you were laughing.

No comments: