Sunday, March 31, 2013

Grub Crawl - Sodo: The Egg & I (Closed) and Carol's Place

I had breakfast and lunch to go at these two breakfast nooks on S. Orange (near Michigan) on Thursday.

The Egg & I - I had a meal that contained two eggs, bacon and two slices of french toast for $9. The eggs and bacon were good. the french toast was a little wet (undercooked). The place is a chain from Denver. It looks a little like a cross between Panera's and a Bob Evan's. It seats about eight. Around twenty people were there at 10am. There are two rooms. The prices were a little high. I didn't find anything especially superior about the place. Try any of the other breakfast places in your neighborhood in place of them. It's a crowded field and breakfast isn't that complicated. They also serve non-breakfast fare.

Carol's Place - A "real" luncheonette. It's your typical old school breakfast/lunch place. It closes at two pm. It seats about sixty. The decor is basic. The place is oldish. The service was quick. I had a tuna sandwich to go. It cost $6. They gave me alot of tuna. It was better than I was expecting. It was, however, made with that sweet type of mayo (Miracle Whip or Duke's?) that I disdain. This is the "Sowf", so, I shouldn't have been surprised. It came with chips. I suggest this place over The Egg. It has a similar menu and is about half the price. And it is a one off.

No comments: