Monday, March 4, 2013

Hawkers, Mills

I had dinner at this Asian restaurant on Friday. I'm sad to say I was disappointed. It had a good reputation and I'm sure devotees will come out of the woodwork to disagree, but, I found the food to be worse than a PF Changs'. I had a fried pork belly for $5. It was hard as stone. I had a five spice fried calamari for $6.50. It had no flavor. It was tough. It came in really tiny slivers. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing in and of itself, but, it could explain why it was overcooked. I also had five spice fish tacos (2) for $6. Again no flavor. And the salsa was chewy and cold (refrigerated). I stopped the bleeding at this point. The place was packed, so, I may be an outlier (but not an out liar). It's in an old Chinese restaurant on Mills. The parking was limited. They did minimal renovation. It's very bare now. It looks aged. The high point was the service. Everything came out quickly. The attitude was friendly. They serve alot of small plates. The most expensive dish is under $8. It's alot of sound and fury signifying nothing. At least gastronomically. Maybe the quality is better at slower periods.

No comments: