Monday, April 5, 2021

Fig's Prime, Altamonte Springs

I tried this spot that refers to itself as a steakhouse tonight.. It is almost on 434 on the road that becomes Markham Woods north of 434. It's in some sort of office complex. Easy to miss. Why I've missed it for what appears to be three years. Drove by a few months ago. It was early and Easter was yesterday and the whole covid thing, but, it was rather ordinary. I had a lump crab and avocado stack for $16 and Chicken Rebosado for $19. This seems to mean overflowing. Not sure how that is relevant. It just had capers. The salad was on the high end of app pricing. The chicken on the low end. Both items seemed to be carelessly assembled. The arugula in the stack wasn't dressed. Nothing was. This can't be how it is supposed to be prepared. The crab was dry. Like they opened a tin and let it dry in the fridge. The avocado was a bit brown and abused. The cherry tomatoes were flavorless. Even the olive oil (only "dressing") on the plate had a weird taste. They did serve up alot of crab though. Why do you always get more when you'd prefer less. Those things can be fixed. I just wonder if lethargy has set in. The chicken was dipped in an egg wash and served in a lemon, wine and caper sauce. The wine wasn't burned off. The coating didn't really adhere to the chicken. It was one breast cut length wise into two. It was a little crumbly. It came with bad mashed potatoes in a scoop shape. The were real, but, they weren't mixed with cream or butter. They tasted like when you just scoop potatoes out of the skin. Grainy too. I thought it was supposed to come with asparagus. maybe I misread. It came with sauteed (in greasy oil) zucchini, carrots and green beans. They were on the raw side. Still the best component. All in all, it was like a room service meal. The apps listed things like beef carpaccio, ahi tuna, bisque, cheap $7 salads (Caesar, wedge), calamari, etc. The mains had veal marsala, steak, fish, pork, a pasta, etc. I think they topped out at $30. It seats about 100. Bar in the center. Square lay out. Kitchen in rear. Glass windows. View of highway. Earth tones. Iron chandeliers. High ceilings. Odd mix of mood music. Country to emo. There were six others dining. Service was rushed. No refill. Seemed more interested (probably insincerely) in how I was experiencing the food. They are open from 5-9ish. It has or had potential. The prices are not that out of line. If somebody kicks their asses into gear, they could be something.

*I'll add a post Easter Easter egg. I saw that the Minnesota United were staying at the Hyatt place in Lake Mary. Not sure if they are doing a full spring training or are here just for a game. No I won't say match.

**I also forgot to tell you that I stopped at a Buc-ees near the golf hall of fame on I-95 (Palm Coast). It wasn't worthy of the hype. It's just a gas station with souvenirs, fudge and some eats. It was jammed. I think it just opened. I tried to try the one in Daytona. It wasn't open on my way north. It was on my way south.

No comments: