Saturday, April 17, 2021

Mason Jar, Thornton Park

I tried this dinner snack spot on East Washington (near the fountain in the road) on Tuesday night. While I was waiting the thirty minutes it took to get my $13 Mason Jar Burger, I had prepared a real ass chewing in my head. Then I tasted the burger. Now, I will say they need to ease up on the seasoning mix they toss on top of the patties, but, otherwise it is one of the better burgers in town. And if that is any indication of how the other items taste, then we have something here. The patties (2) were big. Maybe a third to a half pound. I ate one that night and one two days later (it held up). Very filling. Not ball like. Flat. They gave them a nice crust. Good quality grind. Excellent bun. Nice American cheese. Excellent tasso ham in lieu of bacon. I'd probably deep six the pickles or make them less sweet. It also came with fries. I didn't know that and let them steam in the packaging on the drive home. Wish I saw what they looked like fresh out of the fryer. They were ok looking when limp. I nuked them into potato stick consistency. All you can do once they get cold. They have been open for a year. It was another snacky type place before. I would have tried them earlier (actually did during the day when they opened and found out they aren't open then) if it isn't such a pain to find parking around here. I believe they are next to a bar called Burton's. Most of the wait could be attributed to being their de facto kitchen and what seemed to be call or online orders. They sell around twenty things. Boudin balls, hush puppies, PB & J burger, brisket French dip, 4 piece fried chicken, salads for instance. They also seem to have certain special options on certain days. That night it was pasta. It's a promising place for those who live there (especially patrons of Burton's). The hours and lack of parking (and wait) make it a tiny bit more difficult on the rest of us. Especially if you are looking for a drive by. At least there are no meters here. Did you know meters were invented to keep construction workers from parking in spots near businesses in the old days? Funny how things work. Now they are the things that make me not go to a business. Careful what you wish for.  They are next to a laundromat too. Don't park there.

*I have one more outstanding review (two places) in the queue. Will probably be done on Sunday night or Monday afternoon. I'll tack on a Colorado Travel Notes to it. I should add that I saw that Ootoya opened around the corner. A F&D Cantina will take the spot next to it according to the sign. I also have been notified by this piece of shit service that they are discontinuing the email function in July. Not sure how you will get your updates that a new post is in. 

No comments: