Wednesday, April 14, 2021

FK Your Diet, Orlando

I tried this breakfast and lunch place on South Orange and Hansel (near Hoffner) last Tuesday at noon. I think this area is called Pine Castle. I always confuse it with the Pine near Altamonte. I think that is Hills. It was some Irish Pub before this. Now it has something to do with funding foster kids. They have branches in Cape Coral and Fort Myers. That's kind of the level of finesse. I had a cordon bleu benny for $16. Had to see if it worked. It didn't. The chicken was the best part. Fried thigh. The hollandaise was way sour. The eggs were overdone. They replaced the muffin with a sweet biscuit that was more of a flapjack. Fail. Too sweet. Too much going on. Conflict. They also added swiss cheese. It detracted. The ham was immemorable. It also came with tons of fried potatoes. The portions were huge. That's really the differentiation here. Lots of food. The also had burgers and pancakes and french toast, etc. Riffs on classics. The place is brightly painted. Greens and oranges, etc. It looks like a pre-school. There were some sketchy people eating there. That colored my experience. Not homeless or anything, but, women who looked like they just got off the "night shift" on OBT (is that still where it goes down?) or just got done cleaning hotel rooms. They had to wait to order until some guys showed up. Didn't seem like they had any money. Kept going back to the car to smoke pot, I assume. There were also some families there that looked like they got the donations, not gave them. And some sloppily dressed folks as well. Just a bit depressing. Reminded me of Maryland. Service was attentive. Lots of mediocre, fattening food is ok every once in a while. I just think that they think that it's higher end than you will. Their tag line is "the simple of gourmet cooking". If so, that "t" is pronounced as a hard t. I can't recommend a purposeful trip, but, if you are in the neighborhood. I think they close at 3pm. I believe they opened up this year.

*I will be posting every two days to get the ones in the hopper in by next week.

No comments: