Sunday, June 10, 2018

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Brownerierie (Closed), Buttermilk Bakery and Foxtail Farmhouse

I tried these places for breakfast on Friday. The first is across the street at a diagnol from Trader Joe's on S. Orlando/17-92. Not on S. Orlando, but, around the side. Easy to miss. The next two are on Orange Ave (the road that Einstein's sits at the corner of).

Brownierie Cafe - This is the only CF location of a Brazilian chain. They specialize in brownies (a few other things are available). I had a Banana Brownie for $3.30. It was very good. Moist. Rich. Chocolate-y. Dense. The banana wasn't baked in. Just an "icing" of fresh banana paste. Good though. They do around 28 types. They have been open for 18 months. It's a small, clean, new space. Glad it came up when I searched to see if the new crepe place had opened yet.

Buttermilk Bakery - I couldn't remember if (still can't) if I had tried them. This location seems to chew up little cafe places. I can't keep track. I think I hadn't. Strange to think I've passed by for two years (how long they said they have been open) and just thought it was "in the books". I'm glad I forced a visit. I had two croissants and both were very good. I had a turkey and provolone and an everything. I should mention that I just got back from France and Belgium (ate horse there) and my stomach couldn't wait for lunch time. The croissant was baked around the turkey and provolone. It survived a reheat. A little dry (extra flakey). They tossed in some pepitas in there. Not bad. I just saw a cooking show where they made an "everything" croissant based on the bagel. I don't like the bagel. Too salty and bitter and messy. Oddly, the croissant is a better vehicle for this "rub". I think both were $4. No printed receipts. They serve alot of good looking baked goods. They had a deviled egg tartine and a sandwich for lunch (won't serve before then). Too pricey to my mind. $12 for a tomato and mozzarella sandwich? In fact all the "meals" were too high. Stick to the bakery rack. They redesigned the space. They put the seats by the window up front. I can't remember if the old tenants had a patio. They do. You can also dine by the front door. Parking in back. I'd go back.

Foxtail Farmhouse - They expanded the location to the right. They put a cold drip coffee bar in there. I can't decide whether it is the most pretentious thing in CF or pretty cool. I wish I liked coffee more. At least I'm a little buzzed when I seek this type of experience with wine or beer or spirits. I guess if I maintained "consistency (of opinion) discipline", coffee is no more or less ridiculous to obsess over. And they certainly had their share of obsessives there. Packed house. I didn't partake. Maybe some other time.

*Foxtail in Hourglass District still not done.



No comments: