Monday, June 18, 2018

Papa Sabz, Casselberry

Today I survived a gauntlet of aggravation that started on the Eye-Sore and ended with this lucky encounter. Let me start by saying that we have a special species of imbecile running the I-4 "improvement" project. Either that or a special kind of grifter. It is unbelievable how slow this is going. And today I encountered a new piece of imbecility. I won't dwell on the crash that caused a traffic jam that most certainly was the fault of the "improvement". I will talk about the traffic light they placed/hid around a curve (under an overpass) on the West Bound lanes at the Maitland on ramp. Not only does it take forever to cycle, it is hidden from drivers entering the highway. Drivers have to jam on the brakes just as they are accelerating to merge onto the highway. This is a multi car pile up waiting to happen every minute of every day. And they could easily push back the light or place a warning sign. Back to the day of frustration. Chela in downtown closed before I got there. I arrived at 2:45pm. They say they are open until 2:30pm. I think they started closing early. All the chairs were stacked on the tables in fifteen minutes? So, my first choice was out. And a wasted gauntlet. I tried to make the effort worth while by walking past Lake Eola in the heat to see if that ramen place near the 7-11 in Thornton Park had opened. That would be a "no". Back to the car and off to Bem Bom in Audubon Park. Still not open. The guys in the parking lot said two to three weeks. Waiting on permits. Are we at two years yet? Then to 436 in Casselberry to see if 4 Guys Pho was open yet. Nope. The sign says June 19. That's tomorrow. Lucky me. I threw in the towel and started home. Then I saw this sign where Holly and Dolly's used to be.

It's now a mostly Mediterranean place run by an Iranian couple who own the building. I had a 1/2 chicken with two side for $8. This is funny because I just scoffed at a whole chicken at Winn Dixie yesterday because it was $7. That aside, this chicken was very good. A great herb coating. Cooked in a rotisserie. On the rare side. Not pink. How the professional chefs say chicken should be served. The skin was crisp. Hard combo to pull off. I tried their hummus and roasted potatoes. The hummus was especially good. Thick. A little olive oil on top. No flavorings. Great, toasted, thick pita triangles. The potatoes had a lemon flavor. I was impressed. Sodas were only $1.75. I refilled three times. Parched from that lake walking. They also serve gyros, pastrami, cheese steaks, turkey, grilled chicken breast, Caesar salad, Greek salad, and desserts. Around $7. They redid the place with metal wainscoting, nude wood shaded table tops and black metal chairs. It seats around sixty. You order at the counter. There were people there (and they were open) at 4pm. A mixed crowd. They have been open for seven weeks. Not a destination, but, a real value. It also probably saved me from slashing my wrists, but, don't hold that against them. And at least they stay open all day.

No comments: