Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Southern Spice, Sand Lake Road Area - Closed

I wasn't exactly pleased when I learned I would have to haul my buns back here just to try another Indian restaurant (was Chutneys). The fact that they serve a Southern Indian menu didn't really make it anymore enticing. But, at least it isn't a totally duplication. They are in that strip mall with the gym (Gold/World's?) right around where Turkey Lake and Sand Lake meet. Incidentally, I'm going to have to do it again because the Graffiti Junction closed and is being replaced with what I assume is a French place. I went here for lunch last week. They were doing a $10 buffet, so, I just went with it. It's a shame because the large menu has some interesting items on it. I had a few mini samosas. I'm not sure if you can buy these by the hundred in Indian markets. I'd guess that was their provenance. Not bad in any case. I also had some chicken biyrani. butter chicken, tandoori chicken and one other that I think was in curry. They keep the bones in. All sections. I got a neck. They were in line with how they are supposed to taste. The butter chicken seemed a tad sweeter. I didn't love all the extra pods and leaves left in the dishes. I also had some white basmati rice, paneer/cheese (Makhani style I think), aloo/potatoes (possibly Telengana style), naan and a rice pudding with short noodles. I liked the potatoes very much. Paneer was good as well. I prefer rice to short noodles (in my desserts) it appears. The naan was a little burnt. I can't prove it, but, I think they give the "mistakes" to the white customers. That was pretty much the selection. Some salad greens and veggie entrees. I can't remember if they offered a soup. I would have done more damage but I had a plane ride ahead of me and I had already awoke with a huge case of flatulence. Just air. No smell. Bizarre. Carbonation/? Speaking of which, they charge $3 for a soda. Boo. The normal menu is large. Maybe 70 things. Some look interesting. They offer shrimp, chicken, mutton, fish, lamb and plants. Some descriptions seemed posh. $15-$24. I'd give them a go if I lived down there. Not going back for the buffet though. My town alone has four places that offer much the same. They did a little tinkering around the edges with the interior. Still familiar. Utilitarian. It was a buffet so service wasn't really on display. Give it a go if you live nearby. They had some Indian customers and some local business people there for the buffet. I think they opened in April or May.

No comments: