Saturday, June 9, 2018

Los Generales, Curry Ford Rd

I had dinner at this Mexican restaurant in the Hourglass district on Thursday. It was ok. They do things Yucatan (Mayan) style. They do pozole (on weekends), vaporcitos (tamales), huarache, sopes, gorditas, pambazo and the rest of the usual fare. I had tacos de cochinita for $8 and a lengua taco for $2.50. I didn't need the extra taco. The cochinita (3) were piled with pulled pork and red colored pickled onions. Soft tacos. The pork was steeped in a broth. I don't like that technique. I prefer the meat to be basted in its own oil. This pork was a little bland. The tortillas were also a little dry. I'm not sure if they tossed the platter into the oven because the plate and the food was scorching hot. I think that would account for the dry tortillas. I really hope they didn't use the nuker. The lengua was a little bland too. I saw some bumps on the skin too. That means they didn't peel it off. There was alot of meat here too. And some raw white onions. Same dry tortilla and hot plate. I saw the cook and she seemed like a home cook. That's about the level of this place. There is a big menu. It's not as derivative as a chain, but, it isn't high end or totally authentic. Right in the middle. It does the job. More value than quality. The place used to be another Mexican place (La Fiesta?). Never got there before it closed. Their sign gave me the impression that it would be more of a hipster taco place. It's not. The decor is basic. A little old. Probably the stuff from the last place. They have wooden booths on the left side and pleather booths on the right. A bar counter towards the back. They had some framed photos of guys in weird outfits. I guess one is Zapata. I guess that is why they are called "generales". TVs tuned to Mexican programs. Service was good. The chips and salsa (slightly hot with a little garlic) were fresh. They were offering pozole on a Thursday although the menu said Sat and Sun only. That means it was old or the regular pozole is old by Sat. Pricing was in line. Not a must see. Generally average.

No comments: