Monday, March 4, 2019

Naguara K' Arepas, East Curry Ford Road Area

I tried this Venezuelan restaurant in a strip mall at Curry Ford and South Chickasaw Trail last Saturday at lunch. I saw them last year when I tried Pizzeria Roberti and thought it was a gastro pub. It says that on the window. I was actually glad it was something a little less ubiquitous. I had a Pepito Laurence for $9. That would be a grilled steak and chicken hero. It came with fries and was topped with two types of mayo based sauces, lettuce, tomato, onion and parmesan cheese. It was good. Very large. The steak was probably cubes from a shoulder cut (chuck). The tomatoes were a bit old. The fries were medium sized and fried perfectly. They had a few more sandwiches and some apps and some desserts and some arepas and some platters. The arepas were around $6 and the most expensive platter was in the teens. They also had some great prices on beer ($2.50 domestic and $3 imports). It's a small, square space with a counter. Around seven tables. A mom and pop joint. They said they just took over fifteen days ago from the old owners who had been there for three or four years. Same style of food. Not sure if the menu has changed. I don't run across too many Venezuelan places, so, they still have sex appeal to me. And I think they have a touch of panache you don't see in all South American cooking. Not a world changer, but, a definite value. Obviously it depends on how far you reside from here as to whether it's worth the trouble. The name doesn't translate (according to them), but, it is a phrase they bandy about with each other. I got the feeling it is like "aloha".

No comments: