Friday, March 8, 2019

Salata, Lake Mary - Closed

I tried this "salad kitchen" (that replaced the Crispers in the marketplace off 46a) this Wednesday at lunch. I had a mailer coupon, so, the $9 salad plus $2.50 small bottle of soda became $5 off. Before I continue. I'll let it be known that no matter how great the experience could/would be, I will never pay that much for rabbit food (I think Sweet Tomatoes charges that for all you can eat - and tosses in soups and breads) and the only time I foresee returning is when and if the next coupon is delivered to my door/mailbox. That said, the experience was predictable. They serve up what they have in a bowl or wrap (Currito has a "burrito"). Chicken or other meats add to the ticket price. They have some soup and rolls/croissants (you get one and the rest are extra). That's it. They had a mixed greens, romaine, spinach and kale for bases. Vegetables (some not so fresh) you see at the Publix salad bar for $5 or $6 a pound. I'm not sure the weight of the bowls you get here, but, I doubt it is much more than a pound. They have some "esoteric" add ons like sesame sticks. I'll give them that. I think there were eight dressings. You order and pick up and arrange at a counter. They are a chain from Texas. The group that licensed/franchised this one has the go ahead to open 75 more in Florida.  They seem to be displacing old Crispers locations to begin with. Not sure what is up with Crispers. They remodeled the space. It's even more minimalistic now. The look is more antiseptic (white). They have that giant blade (first seen at BurgerFi in Winter Park) fan at the entrance now. I recognized some of the staff from Crispers. That is a mistake. That place was poorly run and the staff was impolite. Hopefully, that was because Crispers treated them badly. If not, then they have some rethinking/interviewing to do. They have been open for a few weeks. Tricking myself into thinking salads are (they can be, but, Americans make them less so) healthy doesn't work on me. I see the fatty dressing and add ons. Neither does overpaying make me feel that I'm getting quality (or spoiling myself). I buy these items. This is just Starbuck's for rabbits. If you are stupid enough to pay for it, I never want to hear you complaining that you aren't paid enough or your taxes are too high or that you just look at something and gain weight. You obviously don't know how to manage your finances or count calories. Now if they drop the prices in half, it would be a different story. I don't love depending on a nasty supermarket salad bar or Wendy's/McDonald's for a change of pace. And I'm definitely not stupid enough to pay 3X retail at a farmer's market and have to eat salad for a week to make it go away. These healthy concepts must be very profitable. They seem to be multiplying like the rabbits the feed. It's alata nonsense to me.

No comments: