Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Pub/Grub Crawl - Milk District: Mx Taco and Sideward Brewing

I went to these two really new additions on North Bumby (near Stasio's) on Friday night. They are across the street from each other. The cross street is the main street in the area. Livingston?

Mx Taco - I was all ready to employ this foil against Taco Bus and it disappointed. I tried three tacos (of seven). I had a Sikl Pak Bistec from Sonora for $3.50, a Michoacán Carnitas for $3 and a Cochinita Pibil from the Yucatan for $3. The steak was the best. It had some beef flavor. The Pibil tasted of orange, but, was very salty. The carnitas was a little dry. All were served with pickled onions (the best element) and cotija cheese. It is said that they source their tortillas from Mexico. They seemed like the same dry, raw corn tortillas you buy in the supermarket. I was just in Guadalajara and their tortillas melted in your mouth. These caused trench mouth. I'm not one for looking a gift horse in the mouth, but, these tacos were too loaded. They could reduce the portion size by half. They also took way too long to prepare. I think I waited twenty or thirty minutes. I think they have a one person kitchen. They also serve two quesadillas, guac, salsa, chips, beer, sangria and a couple of other things. Tacos al pastor on the weekend. Pozole too, I liked their menu. It has a map that points out the regions from which these tacos are associated with (in Mexico). The place is tiny and sparsely decorated. I remember some framed photos and hanging silver stars. Eight seats inside and eight outside. I think they opened two weeks ago. Not terrible, but, not as good as some dollar taco places in Kissimmee and other authentic locales.

Sideward Brewing - They share a thankfully expanded (yet still inadequate) parking lot with Stasio's. They opened last Thursday. I tried five of their six beers (golden, pale, ipa, citrus ipa and stout). All were excellent except for the golden ale. It was average. A bit yeasty. The ales were very hoppy. Even the pale ale tasted like an IPA. The Irish Coffee Stout was sweet. They charge a bit more for some of the beers, but, it basically ran $3/$6/$7 for a 5oz/10ox/12oz. They also have some snacks like hummus, onion dip, boiled peanuts and potato skins. And five sandwiches. The place seats about ten at the bar and thirty in communal tables behind the bar. A patio fits around that many outside. It was jammed. There is a garage style glass door between the two areas. I remember a lot of dark tones. The bartenders were fast and eager. They had some funny T shirts. A pleasant addition.

No comments: