Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Cavo's, Thornton Park

I tried this pseudo-Italian (Philadelphia) place on E Washington in Thornton Park (old Graffiti Junction) on Sunday at lunch. First we had Beyond Meat. Now we have Beyond Boring. The place looks kind of nice (lots of lightly stained wood, big bar and booths with seats along the wall). That only makes the lackluster menu more of a conundrum. They have five apps that all have entrĂ©e prices ($11-$13). Arancini is the only mildly ambitious offering (wings, two sprouts and bacon wrapped shrimp). The rest of the menu is comprised of two salads and eight sandwiches. Three are Italian chicken parm. meatball and pork). I had the roast pork Italiano. I suppose this is a cheapened riff on a pork with broccoli rabe (ala DaNic's). It was bad. The roll (not freshly sourced from anyone of distinction) was stale. The spinach was mush. Probably from the frozen food aisle or a can. The gravy was horrendous and ubiquitous. It had a familiar flavor. Like the turkey gravy in a fast food dinner. I can't place it. But, it's some abomination your delinquent parents probable exposed you to as a child. I couldn't taste the provolone and I removed the red peppers. It cost $13. It wasn't large or stuffed. It came with noting on the side. I won't be back. Spiro's is a much better call and close by.

*I have a sushi brainstorm. What if you take a cube of whatever fish and roll a ball of rice around it (like arancini) and then just slice it in half. Wouldn't that be a cool presentation? Half roll. Half nigiri. It would also stand out on the plate more dramatically. I see it laying at a forty five degree angle. You could also coat the rice like a roll. I'm thinking golf ball size, but, you could go bigger.

No comments: