Friday, June 26, 2020

Grub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: Planet Pizza (Closed), Blackbeard's Inn and Frozen Gold

I tried these places in different locations around town on Monday. I picked the first because the two "real" restaurants around it were closed for lunch. One (Norwood's) was getting cleaned because of Wu Flu. Not sure what the deal was on the other (Garlic something or other).

Planet Pizza - Just a low level Italian place. I grabbed two slices with a soda for $5 to go because I didn't really think they were up to more (or I wasn't going to bet on it) and I wanted to hit the beach. The slices were predictably below average. Thick dough. Thick, stolid cheese (chemical based). Weird cracker/toast like crust (straw on its side sized). They also sell hot subs, three salads, wings, calzone, ziti, shells, apps and gyros. I may have chanced a gyro, but, I couldn't see the spit. Probably for the best. It's a small place. seats about sixteen. It's on the road with the bridge (44) over the Intercoastal across from the Publix shopping area.

Blackbeard's Inn - They are on US1 (Dixie Fwy) just north of town. They opened forty years ago. A real relic. Two dining room and a bar area. I just grabbed a shrimp cocktail ($8) and a Key Lime Pie ($6) because it was only 4pm and I didn't trust the price to quality proposition they presented. The shrimp (7 mediums) were ok. They said they made their own pie and it was very good. Tart. Nice crust. A little pricey. They serve a huge menu. Land and sea. A menu from forty years ago. That's the type of place it is. Now it all comes down to how they source (and prepare) their menu. If it's fresh and local then you can live with (and maybe revel) it. If it is an insult of frozen garbage, then it is a real tourist trap. The prices are pretty high. High teens and up. The early bird (until 6pm) menu isn't that much of a bargain either. Cheapest thing (tenders or clam strips) is $14. I just read that dinners come with chowder, salad bar, hush puppy, roll, side and home made cinnamon roll. So, maybe it's not that bad a deal. They also have a raw bar. It seats over one hundred. It was kind of full. Service was fast. It's very wood themed. Some tacky decoration. So bad it's in?

Frozen Gold - They are on the way back to I-4 on 44. Near the Harley dealership. I've been there before. They've been there forever. I had to have a shake. I settled on a float. I asked for a strawberry and Coke. They heard soft serve vanilla and Coke with a scoop of strawberry. Not a total F up. I just had to pay around two bucks extra. It ended up costing $6 for a large. A large shake was running $3.75 ($1 off that day). They sell popsicles, Italian ice, splits, sundaes, "desserts", hot dogs, nachos and pretzels. Open from 11:30am. No seating.

*The next post will be short and have the travel info. Quick question. If bars are closed, won't people just house party? Isn't that LESS regulated and it hurts businesses in the state? I say this as someone who doesn't go to bars anymore (in Orlando) because the goods are odd and I don't want a DUI.

No comments: