Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Grub Crawl - Sanford: Grain & Ember and Genghis Juan's (Closed)

I tried these food stalls in Henry's Depot on West First St at lunch on Thursday. There were places to eat there, but, I got this to go.

Grain & Ember - They prepare "red" and "white" personal (approx. 10") pies with toppings (they have a few unique ones like boquerones or white anchovies). I think they had a few other items too. I was just there for a regular red pie. There wasn't a lot of red to it. Nor much cheese. I would guess they were a notch above ketchup and oil based cheese. The crust was very good. Good char. Thin. Toothy. No flour taste. Not crumbly. No air bubbles. Wood fire oven. It cost $12. Toppings cost $3. I believe the owner is of Spanish decent. Explains the boquerones. *12/21/2020 - I think they opened a branch in Maitland.

Genghis Juan's - They try and do an Asian-Mexican dance. 6 tacos, 2 burritos and 2 baos. I had two tacos and a bao. The bao was the best by far. The two tacos were way too salty. I had a pork carnitas taco and an ancho chili (their spelling) chicken taco and a ginger pork bao. All were $3.50. The tacos were piled high with meat. The bao had a slab or pork belly. The tacos came with cabbage, onions, salsa verde, pico and cilantro. Or should have. No salsa verde. Could have used some queso anejo. Came on flour tortillas which we all know is a no no. Not grilled long enough either. The bao was supposed to come with pickled cucumber, carrots, hot sauce, scallions, shiso and sesame seeds. The last three were awol. Perhaps out rioting (err protesting). Too soon? They also have bulgogi, fish, duck and chorizo.

*The ice cream place and the poke place were still closed. Though you could buy the ice cream at Grain & Ember.

** I forgot to tell you of a fast food place in northeast Tennessee. It was called Pal's. I didn't try it. Long drive thru lines. It looked cute. Big hot dog facades. Old timey feel.

No comments: