Sunday, June 28, 2020

Lale, Lake Mary - Closed *SC/PA/VT/NH/NY Travel Notes

I tried this Turkish restaurant near Friendly Confines on 46a on Monday night. I grabbed lamb kofte ($20) to go. This is at least the third name change here. I was told that the original owners are back. I think that is when it was Istanbul. It was Aspendos most recently. See either post for a more detailed review. Since the place has looked exactly the same throughout and the menu has as well, I see no need to repeat myself. Some dishes they call "sautes" could be different. Maybe pide is new. This kofte could have been lamb or beef. I only tasted the spice. The lunch price is $13. That is a fairer price. You probably get less than the 7 meat patties though. It came with rice. Not bad. Salad. Ok. There was one table seated for dinner.

*Travel Notes - SC/PA/VT/NH/NY: Ok. Things of interest from my trip to New Hampshire (Mt Washington of the Presidential range - for the present anyway) that was financed by what I was given for joining the protests going on at the time. It was more than they offer during Election Day. It helps to be in the company of young white girls that they want in the visuals. Not sure if I'd make the cut otherwise. And they leave the mau mauing to themselves. No chance to cash in on that.

My first stop was in Charleston at a bbq place on Savannah Highway on the way into the city proper. It's been on 3D and MvF, Zimmern, etc called Bessinger's. It was ok. Ribs were dry. Pork was ok. I also went to Rodney Scott's Whole Hog BBQ. It's a little north and center of the main southern part of the city (King and Grove). Not the greatest neighborhood, but, nobody threw anything at my car. You can park in the shopping center next door. It was great. Having all parts of the pig mashed together is so much better than pork shoulder alone. The first thing I've tried in a while that lived up to the hype. Another Bessinger offshoot happened to be near my hotel in Mt Pleasant (over the Ravenal Bridge and a cheaper and safer place to stay). It was called Melvin's Ribs and Que. A brother or something. I had a Big Joe's Pork Sandwich. It was ok. The next unique thing I had was a sausage sandwich with onions, peppers, mustard, ketchup and potatoes at Nino's in Stroudsburg PA (near Poconos and Delaware Water Gap NRA). He said it was Jersey style. Impossible to eat. I had a great egg sandwich and chicken salad with pecans and grapes at Mon Vert Café in Woodstock VT. If you are ever there. Richest, orange-ist eggs ever. At a place called Over the Wall in Stowe VT, I had some great smoked Chinese spare ribs and other things. But, the menu also had some intriguing combos. Feijoada (sp?) Bean Taco. Green Chorizo Gyoza. I had a fish taco with chili salt. That small element had impact. At The Deli Downtown in Cortland NY, I had Grasshopper Pie Ice Cream. Mint ice cream with fudge swirls and crème filled cookie pieces. Interesting. I guess that's it. I ate a lot of fast food due to fatigue or lack of options. Learned that Harris Teeter is a market and not an electronics store. The NE was just opening restaurants and bars. I stayed away from cities (more choices) because of fear of violence (to my rental car).

No comments: