Sunday, May 2, 2021

Grub Crawl - International Drive: Hidden Sushi and Ole Red

 I tried this twp spots on I-Drive on Tuesday night. Early. The first place has always been packed. they suggested I try at 4:30pm. They open at 4pm. They are in the strip mall near Fun Spot that has the Peter Glenn ski store. In the back corner. In the corner of  the space in the corner of that area of the mall. The second is in the space that holds the Ferris Wheel. Across from Tapa Toro. It's a chain owned/licensed by Blake Shelton.

Hidden Sushi - So hidden that they have flown under the radar for two to three years it seems. I ate at a Portuguese place here before that. They do Brazilian sushi. And while I'll say that I'm not thoroughly on board, they are better than the place across the street that I tried a few months back. No contest. They do a $24 Tuesday all you can eat. $28 on other days. I was stupid and ordered ala carte. It ended up being around the same price. I had 2 salmon uramaki (a salmon roll topped with shimeji). They said this was pureed mushroom. It was on top. They sell them by the piece of a roll. They cost $1.25 a piece. Not bad. I also had 4 very big pieces of salmon sashimi. $150 a piece. Fresh. I had 2 pieces of tuna nigiri. Fresher than I expected. Thick slice. I had 4 pieces of salmon nigiri. Not as good as the sashimi. A different cut of the fish. Tougher. They also don't do the rice correctly. Plus they use too much. A piece cost $1.50. Menu said 99 cents. I ended with one roll piece each of djo. One was salmon topped with honey and peanuts. One was salmon and cream cheese topped with crushed Doritos. They were very good and creative. $1.25 each. They have a big menu. However, alot is salmon and cream cheese obsessed. They also have a junk food starter menu with nuggets, etc. Most of the seating now is outside (still inside) now. Around fifty seats. The inside is a small rectangular space. service was good. It was about a third full. It's the better option if you are looking to try Brazilian sushi. 

Ole Red - A House of Blues type place. Live music. Stage. Big. Two stories. Open for ten months. I was going to try gator wings. They were out. Grabbed something cheap and fast that could be refrigerated. Hot chicken sandwich for $13. It was bad. A thigh that seemed to have frost bite. Rubbery. They also seemed to make it hot  by sprinkling on dry rub. That must be the Nashville way because I just saw a travel show where a place called Edley's did the same thing. I didn't remember that. I'm not a fan. It leaves you with a mouth full of unpleasant, raw grit. Plus it was too spicy in a burning way. The better part of the dish were the tots. They looked like golf balls cut in half. Half mashed potatoes and half hash browns. They weren't cooked through though. Worth it if they are done properly. I'm sure they copied someone. Can't wait to find out who really created these. The menu is predictable. I saw a bad looking burger and a huge pulled pork sandwich. The pork looked mushy though. Nothing unexpected. A tourist trap. Go for the music and hooch. I guess Ole Red is a dog.

No comments: