Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Grub Crawl - West Colonial: Spicy & Juicy Crab and Hunan Taste *AZ Travel Notes

I tried these spots on West Colonial (50) last Wednesday at lunch. I knew the first would be bad and it was. I thought I had been to the second and I guess neither this blog nor I have a any evidence of that.

Spicy & Juicy Crab - I first ran into this place looking for another place around a year ago. It is in a shady strip mall at Hiawassee. It is probably the worst boil place I've examined. I ordered three blue crabs for $13. I figured they'd be frozen. They were. But, I figured everything else would be as well. As I said, they were frozen. Tasteless. Dry. Shrunken. I didn't even bother with the corn or potato.Hhad to get out as quick as possible before I caused a scene. The only other people there were a murder of crows. Female. They were all (one on the phone with an accountant or someone) loudly discussing plans to defraud the government. The one on the phone with a third party kept insisting she should get PPE money as she was an independent contractor. That and the music they chose made it a nauseating experience aside from the food. They have a big square room. Looks like it was once a bar. They had a pool table. Bar up front. They said it has been open for three years. No respectable person would step foot in here. To top it off, they added a 15% gratuity. I think I double tipped. Shows what kind of clientele they attract if they have to force people to tip.

Hunan Taste - In the back of the Westside Crossings Mall (Chinatown). Open for two years. Very interesting menu that I chose poorly on. They have exotic stuff like duck in beer sauce, tripe, rabbit, trotters, etc. Plus some basic stuff like Kung Pao chicken. I settled on a dry pot basil chicken for $14. I was taking it home. I didn't want anything that would spoil or spill. Plus these sounded simple. I figured it would come out fast. It was the kind of Chinese dish I hate. They rough chopped bad parts (drums and who knows whats) and left the bones in. It was micro-surgery to eat around the sinews and veins and bones. A real pain in the ass. Plus they covered it in a sweet and goopy sauce that made the chicken skins even soggier. It came with white rice. They were generous with the portions and the place has the sort of vibe that I trust. I'll have to try again. It's a small square room. Some tables of four and big family tables. All the customers were Chinese. I'd stake my reputation that it is considered a higher end place. The menu isn't huge. I almost tried the dumplings. Subtle, subdued decor. Hunan is south central China. Where Mao was born. Food is usually considered spicier than even Szechuan.

*I went back to Shanghai Lane and tried the salt soy milk soup and pan fried pork buns. Soup wasn't good. Buns may be my new favorite things. More dumplings than bao. I'll update that post with the details.

**Travel Notes - Arizona: Not too many. Much fast food. In Tucson tried a sandwich and french fry chain of thirty locations called Eegee's. Sucked. Had another bad chicken salad with almond sandwich at another smaller chain called Baggin's. In Flagstaff had a bad pizza at NiMarco's. Ok Moo Goo Gai Pan at Mandarin Gardens. Bad bison barbacoa tacos at Cowboy Club (on 3D) in Sedona. Ok green chilie and pork soup and French pastry (chicken, brie and pear sandwich) at Perfect Pear Bistro in Tempe. Bad carnitas nachos at Maskadores in Tempe. The best thing I had all week was at a burgeoning chain called Gadzook's. They one up Chipotle. They have a brick wood burning oven that they heat up your meal in. They market it as enchiladas and soup. You get two enchiladas or three. I had two. Modelo braised bison and guajillo braised short ribs. You fill them as usual. Then they go under the heat and the cheese topping gets all gooey. They also have veg fillings and roasted tomatillo chicken and green chile pork shoulder. The soups looked great. They also do tacos. Also do bowls. Someone should make contact with this ownership group. I think they just have three locations so far. I stayed at mostly $100 a night places. Nothing to write home about. Mostly went to National Parks. There is a nice town south of Sedona called Cottonwood. Weather was perfect. A little windy to start. Airport wasn't that crowded this time around. 


No comments: