Saturday, May 22, 2021

Grub Crawl - UCF Area: Mei's Kitchen, Mark's Jamaican Bar and Fujiyama Sushi

I tried these three places in a strip mall on the left side of University Blvd (coming from Winter Park or Downtown) after 417 and before the UCF campus on Tuesday night. All were to go. The last two were places I have already reviewed. I retried them because it has been a while. I will give short reviews of each. You can go to the original postings for more. I'll give the month and date.

Mei's Kitchen - A Taiwanese place. They were closing (around 8pm), so, I had to get my things to go. I suspect the quality also suffered. But, It was still good. They have around twenty tables inside. Kitchen behind the counter which is in the rear. Modern look. I went for variety since I wasn't dining in. I had the fried oysters (5) for $7 and a Gua Bao for $3 and a braised pork belly bento box for $10. The oysters were good. Came with a french type dressing. I doubt they were shucked on site. Probably bought in bulk pre-schucked. The bao was a riff on their standard pork belly. I think this had peanuts or something. It was ok. The bun was a little pasty and small. The bento was great. A huge amount of white rice with savory ground pork mixed in. The belly was thick. Meat was tender. Fatty. Around six slabs. They threw in a soy dipped hard boiled egg and egg drop soup and an egg roll and a savory cabbage salad. I might have liked that cabbage salad the best. Never had it before. Think of kimchi without the heat and bitterness. This was cured in mayo or something. Savory and slightly sweet. They have a two sided menu. Around a dozen finger foods and some entree type stuff and bao and bentos. I think it's worth a foray. Open for just under a year. Faucet in bathroom lit up when you turned on the water. 

Mark's Jamaican Bar - They were across and up the street before this move. I think they said they did it three years ago. According to my first post (July 2015), I liked the jerk pork and hated the patty sandwich. I had the barbeque jerk chicken plate this time. It was good. Four pieces of mostly non-dry thigh and drum. Heavy on the sweet and slightly spicy sauce. I had green bananas and rice and beans and a dumpling as sides. The rice was not overcooked nor dryn or crunchy. Nice flavor. I knew the other two would be bland. They have to be. Still ok if eaten with another component. Have to keep mixing it up. It only cost $9. They have a pretty big menu. Oxtail was around $15. This place looks a little nicer than the last. If I can remember properly. A bar on the right. Tiny room to the left. Patio seating. Next door (on the corner near the street) to Mei's.

Fujiyama Sushi - Tried it February 2009. Liked the chicken. YT was so so. Had a yt roll and a spicy tuna roll this time. YT was flavorless. Tiny amount. Cigar shaped, nori wrapped roll. Spicy tuna had no nori wrap. They usually use the scraps for spicy rolls. I think they might go down a level and use tuna from a can. Plus it was orange and not red. Both cost $6. Overpriced for the quality provided. The place looks twelve years older. And it wasn't that hot then. But they are still pumping out food. It's on the other side of the Publix's from Mei's. *Just saw on an NHK show that Okonomiyaki and takoyaki were a post WWII thing. They sort of existed before, but, were an adaptation to the scarcity of food, desire to eat western (don't get that) and the wheat flour we brought to them after the war. And Yama means mountain. So, they are Mount Fuji.

No comments: