Friday, May 28, 2021

Grub Crawl - Winter Garden: Three Birds Cafe, The Deli Downtown, Piccolo Coffe Co and Harrell's Hot Dogs

There will be two Winter Garden posts in succession. One on the way out of town. One in. These are for places on or just off Plant St. I tried them at lunch time on Tuesday.

Three Birds Cafe - They just opened opened this month. They said it was a place called Savory? I know. who cares? Just trying to help you visualize if you've been through recently. It's on the corner as you come into town. Nice look. Looks like a juice bar or spa. Very white. Order at a counter. They bring it out. Semi fast casual. Breakfast, all day brunch, lunch and maybe dinner. I had trouble deciding between some brunch "toasts" and the sandwich type items. There was only like a dollar or two difference, so, I ponied up for the extra slice of bread. I tried the chicken pesto with artichoke and spinach spread for $13. It was good. Pressed. Came with an arugula and chopped tomato salad and chips (out of fruit salad). I also had an unsweetened tea for $2.50. They have artisinal sodas. I remember a prosciutto and brie wrap, a cranberry chicken, an avocado chicken, a roast beef, etc. Saw a delivery of fresh bread coming in. They have a patio in front and around ten tables inside. And some window counter seats. It was full. Many women. They seemed understaffed. It took a little while. Satisfactory experience. English-cenric peoples call women birds. I wonder if the owners are such? It's funny. The g button is next to the f. I mis-typed cafe and it came out as Bird Cage. Well, it amused me.

The Deli Downtown - They are about a block down on other side of street from Birds and a half block down a street. I just grabbed two chocolate chip cookies because I was already full and they were the cheapest. They cost $1.50 a piece. They said they make them. Seemed so. Good. They have a menu of around a dozen sandwiches that you would expect. A little jazzier than a deli. I think they said they have been there for three years.

Piccolo Coffee Co - They share the same space as Deli. I tried a cola cold brew. Ice coffee, sweetener and soda water. It cost $3. Good. I find iced coffee a little boring. Not sure if I've ever had that before. I thought I hadn't. But, now I think I've had one before. I think they said they have been there for under a year. I think they said they have another location in Mt Dora.

Harrell's Hot Dogs - They are on Plant St. I think they were last a bbq place called Harry & Larry's. Now dogs and sausages. I had one with mustard for $4. It was just a Sabratt's (I think they said). Mostly heavily topped dogs. Like Italian and chili cheese. Looks the same. A small space. Order at the window. Opened right before Covid.

*Most places hadn't changed since my last visit. A few new places. Mostly snack places. There is a new NY Bagel place that they said replaces some other breakfast type place. Down by the marketplace, the Italian restaurant is now a Burger Fi and the Taco Loco (?) is a hot chicken place. Peeked in at Matthew's Steakhouse. A rib eye was near $50! A few of the stalls inside have turned over as well. Will expound in next post and give Travel Notes on Clearwater Beach and St Petersburg. Maybe on Monday.

No comments: