Sunday, April 22, 2012

Club and Grub Crawl - Winter Park, Antiques District and Downtown : Italia, Wine Room, Fish Out Of Water, Lodge, NV, Allan's Jerk Shack

I went to these places on Friday night.

9-9:10pm: Italia by Cafe Noam- This is a new gelato, dessert and coffee shop in Hannibal Square. I had an espresso. It just opened this week.

9:10-10pm: Wine Room - Pretty full.

10-10:30: Fish Out Of Water Sushi Truck - They are aside a club (forget the name) on a side street off Orlando Ave in the Antique District on Friday's until 11pm. I was a bit disappointed. The selection is pretty basic. I had a goat cheese and crab roll for $7. It was one of the more ambitious offerings. The rice was awful. The worst I've ever had (including pre-packaged). It had a grayish hue. It was cold, slimy and sticky. I'm not sure if they use some gluten free range sustainable nonsense, but, it sucked. The goat cheese didn't really add anything that cream cheese would have. The worst part is they don't tell you that they take orders from the club. You end up waiting a lot longer than it first appears.

10:30-11pm: The Lodge - Too smokey and empty to suffer through.

11pm-12am: NV - A cute little spot on Pine St. Most people stayed at the small bar up front. It seemed to be a lot of regulars. It became very Korean by the end. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just what happened. The drinks were a little more here than elsewhere.

12:30am: Allan's Jerk Shack Food Truck - I gave up on the night after walking around a bit. I swear there was a contest going on and it involved being ugly. I felt I had stepped into that Twilight Zone episode where they people wear the ugly masks and get stuck that way. This place was ok. I had jerked chicken with french fries for $7. I'm not sure if I have a cold or tetanus, but, the food kind of made me nauseous. The flavors were good and the hot sauce that came with it was good, but, it still had that effect. Maybe it was the raw lamb or sushi. In any case, this serving of chicken was very authentic. Authentic if your idea of authentic is getting served those skin and bones cranes they call chicken in the Islands. It was mostly bones. And at $7, I bought 6 plump breasts of chicken at Winn Dixie this week (for reference). The fries were half crisp and half raw. They are near the 7-11.

No comments: