Monday, April 16, 2012

Saffron, Sand Lake

I had dinner at this Indian restaurant on Sand Lake in the strip mall that has Roy's on Saturday. I had expected to write a glowing review, but, sadly the dish they served me didn't measure up. It's a shame because the place is cute and they have a good reputation. I had the Rajasthani Hara Maas which is stewed chicken in a red pepper sauce with ginger for $16. The chicken was tough. The rice was dry. I didn't love how the ginger played of the hot sauce it was stewed in. A citrusy, herbal note after a hot pepper sauce is like having lemonade with salsa and chips. I prefer a counterpoint such as cream to dull the punch. This pairing inflames it. As for the condition of the ingredients in the dish, it would be my guess that they were cooked on Friday and weren't consumed then. And in a fit of Indian thrift, they were not discarded. The service (5) was polite and efficient. My meal came out lickety split. Though I think I hit the queue just at the right time. Some of the people who were seated before me, but, put their orders in after were still waiting on their dishes as I was finishing mine. Maybe they received the fresh food? The place looks like it is trendy. It has an eclectic set up that is part boudoir, part farmhouse and part lounge. They have large mirrors in modern and period frames. The seating (40 inside and 14 outside) is mostly modern, black tables and chairs with certain tables resembling faux booths with white upholstered removable benches. One wall and the ceiling is off white. One wall is pale brick. They have regionally appropriate wall art. Iron chandeliers are on the ceiling. The place was three quarters full when I sat down at 8pm. It was full by the time I left. It was about three quarters Indian and one quarter other. The dress was mixed. It wasn't just adults. They seem to have a pretty representative menu. The prices are indicative of a confident self disposition. I can't place the food in the top tier of Indian restaurants based on my experience. But, it is a cute place and the people are friendly. Hopefully, you will get a better taste experience than I did.

No comments: