Sunday, April 22, 2012

Hannibal's, Winter Park

I had dinner at this restaurant in Hannibal Square on Friday. It has a weird set up in which it is owned and connected with Chez Vincent. They have to use the same kitchen. I had the lamb burger for $16. It comes with a Caesar salad or fries and has brie cheese in the center. The salad was fine (a little too much parmesan). The burger was supposed to be medium rare. I think the cheese pocket complicated things. It was burnt/well done in about 95% of it and raw in the middle. I asked for medium rare. It had a nice flavor (Middle Eastern). You could tell it was lamb. It also came with a nice condiment (savory and sweet). The bun was dense and very buttered. The place seats about 80 if you count the outside. There is a private wine cellar that I did not check out. Not sure how many it can fit. The decor is modern. There is a white brick wall with a mirrored TV below on the left side (bar). The rest of the dining room is is bit more plush. It has more formal feel. I don't remember much about the seating because I was relegated to the bar (underlit white marble). The place was packed. You need a reservation. The reason I haven't reviewed it yet is because I had always left before when I found out they were full on other occassions. But, I'm running out of locations to review so I sacrificed for you. The service was ok. You can get lost in the shuffle if you are not pushy. All the staff were well dressed. It was a rainbow of nationalities. Some conversed in French. But, I would bet that they were more Colonial French citoyens if French at all. I think it also explains some of the less continental French dishes on the menu. It's not a huge selection and most things are pretty pricey. They don't serve lunch so you can't sample at a discount. They had an older man singing 21st century classics at a piano and a younger girl singing lesser known songs. Parking can be a pain. I heard the piano player telling another couple that they should park in a lot behind the restaurant and come in through the back. I would usually love a place like this, but, I have to drop it down a notch because of personal peeves. I've become antagonistic to reservations because you don't often have to have them here. And I think the prices are a little steep. But, it's a good choice if you aren't on a budget and don't mind planning ahead. Not everyone felt the need to dress up. They weren't looked down upon.

No comments: