Thursday, April 5, 2012

Koywan Buffet, Altamonte Springs

I had lunch at this Asian buffet in the spot near the 436/434 intersection that used to house Crazy Buffet yesterday. Although, I was beginning to become annoyed at the price increases and refusal to take Amex cards, I still hadn't been able to find a better purveyor of mass quantity sushi since they left town. My wait is over. This place is exactly like the old Crazy Buffet, but, better. It is better because: it's $8 versus $12 (or whatever it was), it has a better selection and they take Amex. The few complaints I could cite would be: broken ice cream machine, fish tank like odor from the indoor ponds and minimal salad bar. Other than that, the place looks and acts exactly the same. I'm so mad that I didn't track it down six months ago when I heard something about the space getting a new tenant. I tried to sample a few things besides sushi for you. The flounder was a overcooked and unfirm. I'm not sure if it was an aged piece of fish or they overcooked it or if it just sat in the warmer too long. They had a steamed whole fish that I think was some kind of fresh water bass (they always have these ugly suckers in the tanks at an Asian market). It was good. The nuggets were nuggets. The had some kind of cute little whipped cream puff in a cup. It tasted like mint. I thought I tried a few more things but I guess not. I really had no room left after the sushi assault. The sushi was good and always replenished immediately. They did the unthinkable and inverted the usual buffet fish to rice ratio. There was more fish to each piece than rice! It was mostly fresh. The rice was acceptable. The white tuna, salmon were very fresh. The snapper (?) was a little dry and tough. The squid and surf clam were a little funky. I thought I might have stepped on a land mine with the clam, but, I can report no after effects after twenty four hours. They also prepared shrimp, tamago, fake crab and combos of all of the above served in cut rolls. They also fried up some rolls. I won't reveal how many pieces I ingested (not a personal record), but, I left looking like Jessica Simpson and didn't eat dinner and wasn't really that hungry for lunch today. I, absolutely, encourage you to find this place when you are in the mood to commit the venal sin of gluttony. It has everything the sushi and non-sushi fan is looking for. Definitely no peer for sushi. With a soda and tax, you will walk out at just over $10. Obviously the tip is an additional component. You could eat over $100 dollars in restaurant sushi for $8 if you put your mind to it. Parking is no problem as most of the businesses in the strip mall have closed shop.

No comments: