Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Suki Hanna, Hunter's Creek

Last Wednesday I had lunch at this sushi restaurant in a strip mall in Hunter's Creek. That's 2 blocks south of 417 on the John Young. This must have been the 4th time I tried to find the location. An ad in a magazine said they were on Central Florida Parkway. It wasn't worth the effort. They had $1 pieces of sushi, so I thought that would give me the best chance of gauging their breadth of menu. The tuna was awful. The salmon was good. The conch was ok. The red snapper was good. The yellowtail was bad. The surf clam was bad. The albacore was ok. The rice was ok (not coarse or vinegary). All pieces were sliced long and thin (which I hate because I can't fit it in my mouth). Now I know you don't put on your best show when you are playing for pennies, but, I have to assume this is the quality all through the day. If it's not then this promotion is killing their reputation. However, the food was the least of my issues. The service was your all too typical Asian condescension. Now I don't know if it's a Gaijin thing. Or an age thing. Or a sex thing. Or a repressed cultural thing. Or a "I've been shipped here and kept against my will" thing but, Asian women can be rude. Don't bring your troubles from the Massage Parlor to work. Of course there were no refills on the $2 Coke. Need you ask. The outside is ugly. I've rarely come across a restaurant that decided to spend their money on the interior. While I applaud them for having an adeqaute interior (seats 80), I can't imagine they get any walk up traffic. I suggest you curtail your adventure if you don't live near by. This place is certainly not a destination dining destination. It was probably the only game in town and survived up until now because of that. *Because see next post.

No comments: