Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bergamo's, I-Drive - Closed

I had dinner at this Italian restaurant in the Festival Bay Mall on the North side of I-Drive on Wednesday. I had two appetizers because I didn't feel I could trust the place and wanted to test them as extensively as was practicable. I had the beef carpaccio for $10. The beef was still ice cold. It was cut in four discernable circles. It had the look of the beef you get in those 50 cent packages at the supermarket. It was topped with capers and dirty, wilted arugula. It had no dressing. Not even olive oil or lemon juice. It was poor. I had scallops on a white bean puree for $10 next. That was better. The scallops (hardest thing to get right) were real and properly cooked. Although, one (probably the test one) was pulled apart. The puree was dry and too thick. It had been probably been prepared days before and lost all moisture in the interim. All in all the food had the quality you would find on a cruise ship or fund raising dinner. The place is nice if a bit Vegas-y. It's circular with large cielings. The centerpiece is a piano. Their claim to fame is singing waiters that I thankfully was too early to suffer through. The maitre d' was your usual Cu-ido (Cuban Guido) in a bad Men's Warehouse suit. He is under the false impression that he is presiding over a fine dining establishment rather than a bad imitation of one. My waiter was better. At least he was not full of himself. Pet peeve. They broke the $2 soda limit. It's 7 cents of syrup. I can't recommend this place to anyone who knows better. It would be like recommending Zanetti suits.

No comments: