Friday, January 24, 2014

Grub Crawl - Lake Mary: Taste of China (Closed) and Cupcake Crazy (Closed)

I have to write this one up because Taste of China keeps pissing me off. I know they barely deserve a plug, but, it's more of a warning.

Taste of China - This place has been there forever (near Burger Fi). It used to be good. It used to be packed. I'm not sure if it has new owners or not, but, it has slipped. The empty dining area may be the consequence. I had a chicken dish that tasted like cheese. Isn't this an indication of spoiled chicken? And I only went out of pity. These idiots charge a 20 cent fee to eat in. They hide it on your bill. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to add service fees without posting them (prominently)/ giving notice near the ordering area. Now they probably don't know any better, but, I think they wouldn't stop if they did. Give a discount for take out. I think that is legal. Just don't rip off your customers in this cowardly/ignoble manner.  It seems like this ship is sinking and they are looking for any additional revenue source or savings they can scrape up. They said they only give out fortune cookies at dinner. Getting a plastic fork or not  was a discussion. If they pull these types of stunts on things like these, where else do they "remain competitive"? And do you want to worry about that?

Cupcake Crazy - This place is behind the Japanese (Mikado?) restaurant in the same strip mall as above. I had a Chocolate something something that had a piece of Three Musketters on it for $3.50. Waste of money. Average cupcake. Too much icing and not enough cake. Yeoman like work at best. They have around  12 kinds of cupcakes. I think they have a play area for icing parties. I think they were behind the Panera at one time. I was underwhelmed then too and think that is why I avoided it until today.

No comments: