Sunday, January 26, 2014

Nunsense, Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center

I saw this "musical" in Sanford on Friday night. It's not a classic. It started off-Broadway and has that feel/gravity. It more of a series of skits with a preposterous plot that I think the writer thought passes for farce. It's more like something someone would come up with, in a hurray, for a gay cruise or camp (do they have those?). The author must also have been an Altar Boy if you get my drift. The butt of the joke is the Catholic Church. I'm all for taking the piss out of - well anything and anyone, but, this field has been plowed. The jokes are stale and meant for a Greenwich Village type audience. Some references were dated when it was first penned. The creators also tried to be clever (thrifty?) by dressing the stage in the backdrop of the Grease backdrop. It was just incongruous. Unnecessary. There were no songs that stuck in your head. And I said, the plot is pointless. A real look into the lives of the Nuns would have been more effectual. This plot neither served the message (if there was one) nor engaged the audience. The (5) Nuns were all good. I think they (the producers) chose this because of the minimal investment and commitment. I think the actresses chose it because it allowed them all to showcase their talents. They raised the price to $20 for the nose bleeds. I think SSC gives you a better seat at half the price.

No comments: